cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default BYU overrated?

From getting royally screwed in the NCAA seeds our last three appearances over the last six years, the tide may be turning. AP #21, RPI #21, USA Today #4 seed!? I'd put us more like my computer model has us at #31. But I'll take all the love we can get, and it would be really nice not having to complain about disrespect in our NCAA seed for once. This is the year we win a tournament game.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
From getting royally screwed in the NCAA seeds our last three appearances over the last six years, the tide may be turning. AP #21, RPI #21, USA Today #4 seed!? I'd put us more like my computer model has us at #31. But I'll take all the love we can get, and it would be really nice not having to complain about disrespect in our NCAA seed for once. This is the year we win a tournament game.
It would be nice to be talking about the round of 32 and BYU. If that happens, Rose will receive my stamp of approval.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I don't think BYU is a top 20 team

but the reality is that it is really difficult to make a case for most teams beyond the top 10. There is no doubt that BYU is playing better so I think it is better today than its 34 computer ranking, the question is just how much better? BYU is much like last year's George Mason, and no I am not predicting a final 4 run. The reality is that kids leaving early for the NBA is really destroying the advantages big programs able to recruit the 5 star superstars had. Solid mid majors can develop their lesser recruited kids and compete in up years.

I really believe that BYU can play with anyone on a neutral court beyond the top 10 or so clubs. All teams have their warts and BYU's are ugly by all means, but I see a huge clump of parity after the top 3 seeds in each region and it will come down to seeding and how well the Y plays when given its chance. If BYU plays as well this tourney as it did the past two tourney appearances, I think BYU comes away with at least one and I don't think two is out of the question.

I can accept that BYU is bit overrated and give the composite computer rankings merit, given BYU's poor preseason play. However, BYU is playing better and given the clump of parity and the fact that BYU is not playing in a real good conference I can see why BYU is rising in the rankings and seedings. I think we will know more after the AF and SDSU games about where the Cougs really should be.

I am not a homer and I see a solid club. As long as Ainge does not turn the ball over against the really athletic teams, he did well against UNLV but I think SDSU will be a great test for him, I think BYU is a solid team and can play with those teams I referenced. Having two post men that can score and guys who can shoot the 3 makes for a solid hoops team. It will come down to seedings and matchups. Right now it is likely BYU will be put in a much more favorable position than they were the past two trips.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Overrated? I don't know. BYU is playing very good basketball right now.

Given that I believe the gap between the top 10 and the teams ranked 11-25 is wider than the gap between the teams ranked 11-25 and the teams that are in the "others receiving votes" category, it's hard for me to say a team is overrated. BYU certainly has showed that at this point in the season they deserve to be recognized as one of the better teams in the country.

As for the tournament, BYU looks to have what it takes to get that first round monkey off it's back, but I wouldn't count on a first round win until it happens.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

There's still a lot of basketball to be played.

BYU has to at least split the SDSU/AFA road trip and get to the Finals of the MWC Tournament for me to blelieve they can get the NCAA Tournament 1 win monkey off their back.

It's pretty similar to the requirements I had for John Beck to be considered among the Cougar greats....he had to win an MWC Title, win 10 games, win a bowl and he did all 3.