cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mother's day

I wonder why we feel the need to talk about mothers as a subject of talks on mother's day. Why not labor on labor day? Or the presidents on president's day?

My talk on "how to get into college" was very secular. The talks on appreciating people with disabilities were fairly secular. Although both subjects are tied back into the gospel, somewhat.

What do you guys think of tackling the topics that sit on the secular/religious boundary?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I wonder why we feel the need to talk about mothers as a subject of talks on mother's day. Why not labor on labor day? Or the presidents on president's day?
You have a point, although most would argue that the sacred nature of motherhood gives it a status a bit higher than the others.

My personal peeve with Mother's day is the policy in most wards to give flowers or whatever to all women over the age of 18. It is not Women's day, it's Mother's day, and I really dislike the politically correct notion that we might offend someone by excluding them.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
It is not Women's day, it's Mother's day, and I really dislike the politically correct notion that we might offend someone by excluding them.
You would not say this if you and your wife were having fertility problems.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
You would not say this if you and your wife were having fertility problems.
Excellent point. In fact, this is a big issue with the glorification of Mother's on this day IMO. In our last ward, the Bishop was extremely sensitive to this as they were never able to have children of their own. They had 3 adopted children by the time I knew them but he said that in the many years when they had no children, Mother's Day was absolute torture for his wife.

He made it a point to choose the speakers and/or special musical numbers, etc. very carefully for this reason.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 AM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

My talk on "how to get into college" was very secular. The talks on appreciating people with disabilities were fairly secular. Although both subjects are tied back into the gospel, somewhat.

What do you guys think of tackling the topics that sit on the secular/religious boundary?
There were 3 talks in Sacrament meeting today. The Youth speaker talked about her mom. The next speaker spoke about Motherhood....the final speaker spoke about the true nature of repentance and what is really required for it.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post

My personal peeve with Mother's day is the policy in most wards to give flowers or whatever to all women over the age of 18. It is not Women's day, it's Mother's day, and I really dislike the politically correct notion that we might offend someone by excluding them.
Interesting that you bring this up.

In my ward, all of the talks were on womanhood and all that stuff...as though the focus was less on mothers and more on the role of women in the church and the importance of womanhood in general.

For the first time....ever, there was nothing provided for the mothers in the ward (perhaps to avoid that awkwardness of giving the married w/no kids or singles something).
Old 05-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

So what is this? We've all become a bunch of communists? We can't honor anyone because someone else get their feelings hurt?

Reminds me of some members of the staff here. Every year we give out cash awards to exceptional performers. When we queried the staff for suggestions on how to make the awards program better, they came back pressing for equality (just divide the budgeted money up evenly).

We rejected that suggestion. The next year we presented awards to very deserving recipients, only to have one of the staff go to the big boss in tears over having not been recognized for her efforts during the year (they didn't rise to the same level of others). Pathetic.

What's wrong with honoring motherhood? We all have one, and shouldn't the day be about them and not us?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

What a bunch of women.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What a bunch of women.
Can you please provide me the link where you brought up anal probing?

I thought that was odd.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
So what is this? We've all become a bunch of communists? We can't honor anyone because someone else get their feelings hurt?

Reminds me of some members of the staff here. Every year we give out cash awards to exceptional performers. When we queried the staff for suggestions on how to make the awards program better, they came back pressing for equality (just divide the budgeted money up evenly).

We rejected that suggestion. The next year we presented awards to very deserving recipients, only to have one of the staff go to the big boss in tears over having not been recognized for her efforts during the year (they didn't rise to the same level of others). Pathetic.

What's wrong with honoring motherhood? We all have one, and shouldn't the day be about them and not us?
As a mother, I didn't feel any less valued just because the woman sitting on my row yesterday also received a flower even though she does not have children.

In Relief Society we talk a lot about having a mother's heart. Not all women can be mothers, but most women in the church long to be. The Primary is dominated by women as are daycares and elementary schools. What's wrong with celebrating women and their impact on children whether or not they've had their uterus stretched to make room for one of their own.

Last edited by marsupial; 05-14-2007 at 02:43 PM.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote