cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Buffy The Vampire Slayer

I caught onto the TV Series back in 2001 when they were doing re-runs on FX and really liked it.

I've gone back and started purchasing the seasons and am up to Season 3 on DVD.

If you can get past the corny title, the acting, writing and multi-layered storylines are some of the best and underated entertainment in years.

Great stuff.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of the all time great television shows. Seriously. The writing is terrific, the fight scenes are great and the character development is very well done. I was one of the original first season watchers (I liked the movie back in the early 90s) and followed it thru to the end. The first five seasons were great, then it had great, good and average seasons after that...but a great run for the show.

Joss Whedon, the writer, is fabulous. He is also the writer and creator of the tv shows 'Angel' (also a very good series that lasted, I believe, 4 seasons) and 'Firefly' (as well as the movie version of Firefly, 'Serenity'). If you go thru lists of great shows and shows that inspire other shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is right up there with many other great shows.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of the all time great television shows. Seriously. The writing is terrific, the fight scenes are great and the character development is very well done. I was one of the original first season watchers (I liked the movie back in the early 90s) and followed it thru to the end. The first five seasons were great, then it had great, good and average seasons after that...but a great run for the show.

Joss Whedon, the writer, is fabulous. He is also the writer and creator of the tv shows 'Angel' (also a very good series that lasted, I believe, 4 seasons) and 'Firefly' (as well as the movie version of Firefly, 'Serenity'). If you go thru lists of great shows and shows that inspire other shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is right up there with many other great shows.
I never saw the original movie. Xander is my favorite character in the TV Series..he kills me.

I have seen Serenity and that was one of the more underated movies of 2005. Fantastic Sci-Fi with great characters and emotional storylines.

I've never watched Angel, but after I'm done going through the Buffy Series, then I'll start renting it through NetFlix or something.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will enjoy Angel. It really hit its stride in season 2. If you liked Serenity, you need to rent out the Firefly series from Netflix. They only had 14 total episodes, but the writing and character development are clear Joss Whedon and it is very good. As good as the movie was (Serenity), watching the tv show (Firefly) really helps you understand and enjoy the characters.

The Buffy movie was over the top and at times, a little silly, but the characters were fun. It is more of a funny type movie compared with the rather dark Buffy tv series. Still enjoyable but different and nowhere near as good as its television counterpart.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote