cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 02:11 AM   #1
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default My thoughts on the NBA finals

The Heat

1. Dwayne Wade was out of this world. Not exactly a news flash there. His jumper, when it was going, was just wonderful to watch(well, sometimes). He has the smoothest bankshot that I've ever seen - including Duncan's

2. Shaq did well. He is not what he used to be but he played team ball well and passed accurately out of the double teams. His presence in the middle is one reason the mavs settled for so many outside jumpers.

3. Pat Riley is a genius. He got the team to believe in themselves somehow during a time out 6.5 minutes from an 0-3 hole.

4. The Heat played wonderful defense

The Mavs

1. The Mavs somehow lost any semblance of aggresiveness about 85% of the way through game 3 which carried through the rest of the series.

2. The Mavs settled for wayyyyy to many outside jumpshots. As great as Shaq & Zo are, then is no excuse for the mavs driving as little as they did(see #1). Dirk was especially guilty of this. Driving into the key and going to the line is what sent Dirk to the next level against San Antonio.

3. 4th quarter mistakes. These really cropped up. The Mavs lost games 3, 5, & 6 by a total of 6 points. The Howard time out in game 5 - the missed freethrows - turnovers late... Inexplicable for a team that showed remarkable poise against San Antonio & Phoenix.

Game 5 comments

Game 5 still bothers me for a couple of reasons so I'll take a minute and say a few words about it.

Late 4th quarter screwups by the mavs:

1. Freethrows - Dampier 1-2, Howards 0-2 both with about a minute left.
2. Time after the freethrow - after Wade's 1st freethrow Howard calls a timeout. Howard says later that he was just communicating with AJ about taking the timeout after the 2nd freethrow and put his hands together in the T. The refs call the timeout. I'm not sure that it would have made a difference with 1.x seconds left anyways but you never know.

Game 5 other

The refs. I know all of you Heats fans don't want to hear about this but it needs to be said: Where the hell was the backcourt violation against Wade? This is not merely a judgement call that I disagree with, this is a clear rule violation done right in front of a professional referee who didn't call it. And before you start up with the 'don't gripe about the refs' mantra that the winners of any contest never want to hear, let me point out that the mavs chances of winning that game go way up with a 1 point lead and the ball with 10 seconds left.

And then there's the matter of the touch foul on Wade with 1.x seconds left. I looked at that thing on tivo in slow motion back & forth 7 or 8 times and still marvel at that call. If there was a foul at all, it was indeed a touch foul. In general, it appears that the refs pay extra close attention whever Wade has the ball and lean forward in eager anticipation. Or so it seems. Especially on that last play.

One more thing. Will Mark Cuban please just SHUT UP??!!!! I like him in general but he just went over the top during this series. As a mavs fan, it just got embarassing to listen to him after a while.

Last edited by realtall; 06-23-2006 at 06:38 AM.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

You make good points about the officiating in game 5. They did blow the backcourt call and the foul probably could have been a no-call.

We Jazz fans know all too well about refs and blown calls. Bavetta takes away a three point shot by Eisley that was clearly before the shot clock went off (it would have pushed the Jazz lead to almost double figures with a few minutes to play). Then all the officials swallow their whistles when Jordan pushed off on the game winner. Worst no-call ever, IMO.

All in all, I'd have to say that the Heat deserved this series.

I don't think Cuban is ever going to shut up. The guy is a fan who just happened to have enough money to buy a franchise. He's a fan first, owner 2nd. These piddly little six figure fines are nothing for him. If the NBA wants to send a message, they have to do something other than fine him - perhaps something as ridiculously outrageous as banning the Mavs from the post season? It would never happen, but he may get the message if it happened.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

My sole thought:

Shandon Anderson now has a title ring. Karl Malone does not.

There is no justice in the world.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
My sole thought:

Shandon Anderson now has a title ring. Karl Malone does not.

There is no justice in the world.
Even worse is that Jason Williams has a ring.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I don't think Cuban is ever going to shut up. The guy is a fan who just happened to have enough money to buy a franchise. He's a fan first, owner 2nd. These piddly little six figure fines are nothing for him. If the NBA wants to send a message, they have to do something other than fine him - perhaps something as ridiculously outrageous as banning the Mavs from the post season? It would never happen, but he may get the message if it happened.
I think that something that I heard or read Cuban say sums it up the best(paraphrased); "The best thing about being rich is that you never have to give a damn about what anyone else thinks."