cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default unless one of the new guys is amazing

BYU basketball is not going to be fun next year. Probably another bad non conference schedule followed by the usual WCC boredom.

I just don't care. I can't myself excited at all about this program.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it's on a treadmill to hell.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yes, it's on a treadmill to hell.
How many wins? Put it out there.

Mike mentioned the non-conference schedule. It will be at least a little better if you've followed the recent news. Ok, to someone who refuses to be impressed by anything ever, it's hardly an ACC conference schedule. But compared to the last couple of years it will be better. Games with UNLV and SDSU should be fun, if nothing else. Also, the three RMs joining this year were top 100 recruits (Baxter, Harding, Lee). It appears this will also be the first time in the last six years or so that the roster isn't getting completely blown up from the previous year, so I think some continuity will probably help. I think Yoeli will come back. Obviously that would be important.

https://cougarsportswire.com/2018/04...8-19-schedule/

Last edited by BlueK; 05-10-2018 at 05:53 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
How many wins? Put it out there.

Mike mentioned the non-conference schedule. It will be at least a little better if you've followed the recent news. Ok, to someone who refuses to be impressed by anything ever, it's hardly an ACC conference schedule. But compared to the last couple of years it will be better. Games with UNLV and SDSU should be fun, if nothing else. Also, the three RMs joining this year were top 100 recruits (Baxter, Harding, Lee). It appears this will also be the first time in the last six years or so that the roster isn't getting completely blown up from the previous year, so I think some continuity will probably help. I think Yoeli will come back. Obviously that would be important.

https://cougarsportswire.com/2018/04...8-19-schedule/

Back in the day in the Wac and in the MWC, BYU won conference titles, made it to the Tourney now and then and once in awhile won a game there.

Now, BYU lucks into the NIT and loses in the first round. How can one care about a team that can't win the WCC?

I appreciate Dave Rose for what he has meant to BYU, but maybe the game has passed him by. He's not recruiting well, and his teams aren't playing well.

I have no idea if the team will resort to form and lose to sucky teams while failing to defeat SMC and Gonzaga, to finish in third place, to struggle to make the NIT and to be one again a disappointment.

BYU will win 18-22 games with most games won being uninteresting and unimportant.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
BlueK

Quote:
Back in the day in the Wac and in the MWC, BYU won conference titles, made it to the Tourney now and then and once in awhile won a game there.

Now, BYU lucks into the NIT and loses in the first round. How can one care about a team that can't win the WCC?

I appreciate Dave Rose for what he has meant to BYU, but maybe the game has passed him by. He's not recruiting well, and his teams aren't playing well.

I have no idea if the team will resort to form and lose to sucky teams while failing to defeat SMC and Gonzaga, to finish in third place, to struggle to make the NIT and to be one again a disappointment.

BYU will win 18-22 games with most games won being uninteresting and unimportant.
No one will agree with you more than I will about the NIT not being enough. But until recently, Rose making the real tournament every year is why we have that expectation. I think we get there this year, but we'll see. He definitely has had issues with roster stability, perhaps recruiting the last few years.

SMC is not going to be that great. They lost 6 of their best 7 players and they weren't deeper than that.

This is the first time in the post-Jimmer era that we aren't replacing 7-9 players from the previous year. That has killed us. Rose has to take some blame for constant roster upheaval, but that hasn't happened this time. I think it will lead to a better team.

18-22 wins...so you're predicting 2-6 fewer wins this season. Ok. Just wanted to get the context out there.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
No one will agree with you more than I will about the NIT not being enough. But until recently, Rose making the real tournament every year is why we have that expectation. I think we get there this year, but we'll see. He definitely has had issues with roster stability, perhaps recruiting the last few years.

SMC is not going to be that great. They lost 6 of their best 7 players and they weren't deeper than that.

This is the first time in the post-Jimmer era that we aren't replacing 7-9 players from the previous year. That has killed us. Rose has to take some blame for constant roster upheaval, but that hasn't happened this time. I think it will lead to a better team.

18-22 wins...so you're predicting 2-6 fewer wins this season. Ok. Just wanted to get the context out there.
The schedule is more difficult in the upcoming year than last year. I believe that will result in more losses. I don't see BYU defeating Nevada or a several other games against better opponents.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
BlueK

Quote:
The schedule is more difficult in the upcoming year than last year. I believe that will result in more losses. I don't see BYU defeating Nevada or a several other games against better opponents.
In thinking about this, one of the major disadvantages to a team in playing a deliberately weak schedule is that on any given night when they beat up a bad team there is no way of knowing for sure if they could have beaten someone better. The team will be better from getting almost everyone back and playing better competition. Maybe it won't translate into more wins, but it will be a better team. And no, I'm not that worried about Dastrup. His not contributing much was already assumed. Colby Lee is 6-9 and big, and he's been home from the mission for several months now, so he's had time to get into shape. He's probably more likely to be productive inside than Dastrup was.

Last edited by BlueK; 06-05-2018 at 06:14 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:28 AM   #8
jadesroom

jadesroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Actually, most BYU fans over 40 have had the expectation of making the tournament every year since Danny Ainge's sophomore year. That's one reason the latter Roger Reid/early Steve Cleveland days were so painful.

The sad part is that, even though Rose continues to win 20+ games, we don't know what those wins mean since BYU is now in the WCC instead of the MWC or the WAC. Would the Rose team that won 24 games last year but finished 3rd in the WCC have done drastically worse in the MWC? I say yes but can't prove it.

PS, I'm not advocating a return to the MWC...but would love for the team to be playing in the AAC.
jadesroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
In thinking about this, one of the major disadvantages to a team in playing a deliberately weak schedule is that on any given night when they beat up a bad team there is no way of knowing for sure if they could have beaten someone better. The team will be better from getting almost everyone back and playing better competition. Maybe it won't translate into more wins, but it will be a better team. And no, I'm not that worried about Dastrup. His not contributing much was already assumed. Colby Lee is 6-9 and big, and he's been home from the mission for several months now, so he's had time to get into shape. He's probably more likely to be productive inside than Dastrup was.

Kolby Lee won't play this year in light of his injuries.

Next year, BYU will get some big man help but this year will be a lonely year for the guys playing the 5. Top notch teams are fun to watch.