cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 AM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I think there are other styles of fundamentally sound basketball. I don't even think that Majerus' oh-fense is the pinnacle of fundamentals either.

But anyone who cannot appreciate a perfectly executed motion offense is a basketball moron.
I can appreciate it, but it doesn't mean that it's that interesting.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #22
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking purely about aesthetics. Teams that consistently take 30 of the 35 second shot clock to get a shot off aren't that exciting to watch.

I know plenty about basketball and I know exactly why Majerus ran that type of offense, but that doesn't mean I think it was fun to watch.
You don't find winning basketball fun to watch? Thank you for proving once and for all you don't know basketball. Anyone who doesn't enjoy watching a team that runs a great halfcourt offense and knows how to execute doesn't know basketball.

I can understand your point for offenses that just dribble the ball and don't do anything while using the 30-35 seconds of the shot clock, but a great offense with movement, screening, and cuts to the basket like a well run motion offense is a thing of beauty.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 AM   #23
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You don't find winning basketball fun to watch? Thank you for proving once and for all you don't know basketball. Anyone who doesn't enjoy watching a team that runs a great halfcourt offense and knows how to execute doesn't know basketball.

I can understand your point for offenses that just dribble the ball and don't do anything while using the 30-35 seconds of the shot clock, but a great offense with movement, screening, and cuts to the basket like a well run motion offense is a thing of beauty.
You watched Majerus more than me, obviously, but I rarely saw that in the U's offenses. He could recruit and his teams rebounded and played defense and played hard. But they always underachieved offensively. Go back and watch the game I originally referred to in this thread or go back and watch the last game of Drisdom's frosh year. You'll see an offense with no ability or desire to attack the basket, and it cost them in the final possession of both games, causing shot clock violations and/or heaving up a wild shot as clock goes out.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:12 AM   #24
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'll take that offense and an 83% winning percentage, a dynasty, and Final 2, Elite 8 and Sweet 16's. Santos, keep your exciting offense and go nowhere.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Woody Hayes used to believe that 3 yards and a cloud of dust was the way to go. Yeah, he won, but it wasn't fun to watch.

Same difference.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Santos, keep your exciting offense and go nowhere.
Reading comprehension, SU. Boring <> bad to me, never has. I just think his offenses underachieved. I know you hated watching Drisdom dribble the shot clock out in that game as much as I enjoyed watching it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote