cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Majerus offense

You guys were criticizing my analysis of Majerus' "dribble the shot clock out" offense?

Majerus at Utah:

--hell of a good recruiter
--great defense and rebounding coach
--horrible offensive coach
--overall average game coach

I actually wish he was still there and told you guys that when he left. After he sufficiently offended the entire LDS community and lost it mentally, he had lost his recruiting advantage and was destined for mediocrity.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You guys were criticizing my analysis of Majerus' "dribble the shot clock out" offense?

Majerus at Utah:

I actually wish he was still there and told you guys that when he left. After he sufficiently offended the entire LDS community and lost it mentally, he had lost his recruiting advantage and was destined for mediocrity.
jay, sorry to break it to you, but you really don't know much about basketball... anyway, you are just restating what you've already said. do you have something further to add to your observations, or are you just trying to rehash the same issues again?
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
jay, sorry to break it to you, but you really don't know much about basketball... anyway, you are just restating what you've already said. do you have something further to add to your observations, or are you just trying to rehash the same issues again?
Well, 20 point outing seems to validate me a little...
Old 01-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah went as far as they did on athletic talent?

Obviously not the case.

At the end of the day, Majerus can point to the scoreboard, and his critics can't say a damn thing.

Same thing with lots of coaches. Like Pete Carroll. Tom Landry. Vince Lombardi.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Majerus at Utah:

I always find it so funny that Jay sees things so differently on Majerus than just about everyone else.

He was an average recruiter. He was an average offensive coach and he was a very good game coach. Really, the only one that you hit was that he was a great defense and rebounding coach.

I know that you love to harp on what a great recruiter Majerus was but even Majerus said that he was not a very good recruiter. For Hells sake, the 5/8 rule was put in place in part because of Majerus. Majerus' goal every year was to recruit as many guys as possible because he would kick off half of them the next year because they were not D1 caliber players. Majerus brought in staff to recruit for him and to use his name. Daniels and Judkins are two great examples of that. Daniels opened up Majerus and kept it open until he left. Judkins was the key for the state of Utah and other mormons.

I guess we'll never know why you think Majerus was a great recruiter because he even knew he wasn't. Now, in response to your mediocre shot at Majerus...even in his down years, Utah still got to the NCAAs and even won first round games. With all that said, yes, it was time for Majerus to move on. He had lost his fire to truly coach (he lost his desire to recruit about 15 years previously) and he was a physical wreck.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I always find it so funny that Jay sees things so differently on Majerus than just about everyone else.

He was an average recruiter. He was an average offensive coach and he was a very good game coach. Really, the only one that you hit was that he was a great defense and rebounding coach.

I know that you love to harp on what a great recruiter Majerus was but even Majerus said that he was not a very good recruiter. For Hells sake, the 5/8 rule was put in place in part because of Majerus. Majerus' goal every year was to recruit as many guys as possible because he would kick off half of them the next year because they were not D1 caliber players. Majerus brought in staff to recruit for him and to use his name. Daniels and Judkins are two great examples of that. Daniels opened up Majerus and kept it open until he left. Judkins was the key for the state of Utah and other mormons.

I guess we'll never know why you think Majerus was a great recruiter because he even knew he wasn't. Now, in response to your mediocre shot at Majerus...even in his down years, Utah still got to the NCAAs and even won first round games. With all that said, yes, it was time for Majerus to move on. He had lost his fire to truly coach (he lost his desire to recruit about 15 years previously) and he was a physical wreck.
20 points! I hadn't seen that! WOW!!! 7 of 48 shooting for St. Louis U. Hilarious.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post

I define being a good recruiter as putting good players into your system. I really don't care which of his assistants did it, or if he got lucky, or if he had to kick out half his players and churn through more numbers to get to the quality he was left with. Miller, Van Horn, Doleac, Mottola, Bogut. Those are five first round draft picks (most lottery if not all). Then you had all the second tier guys like Johnsen, Jensen, Jacobsen, Jackson, etc. Just about any coach could take those guys and run through the WAC.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I define being a good recruiter as putting good players into your system. I really don't care which of his assistants did it, or if he got lucky, or if he had to kick out half his players and churn through more numbers to get to the quality he was left with. Miller, Van Horn, Doleac, Mottola, Bogut. Those are five first round draft picks (most lottery if not all). Then you had all the second tier guys like Johnsen, Jensen, Jacobsen, Jackson, etc. Just about any coach could take those guys and run through the WAC.
It would be interesting to take the top 30 programs in Majerus' time at Utah, and compare the number of draft picks among the programs and see if Utah is near the top.

I assume you are saying that Majerus would be among the top 30, and probably in the top 10, right?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Majerus was very good at getting assistants who could find what they were looking for. There were several documented cases where Majerus brought on guys that he loved that failed miserably because they were not D1 caliber. Go thru the past 15 years of the Ute program and you will find 30+ guys that last only 1 year for the program and were kicked off because they weren't good enough to even play D1 ball.

I laugh though at how you think he was average or worse at game calling. The Utes won championship after championship in the WAC and the Mountain West. They went to the Sweet 16 five times in a 10-12 year span under Majerus. I hate to break it to you, but you have to be a pretty fine coach to do that and do it at a place that is not in the ACC. Like I said, I never heard anyone say that he was an average or worse game coach except for you...so what is your reasoning besides your dislike of him?

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It would be interesting to take the top 30 programs in Majerus' time at Utah, and compare the number of draft picks among the programs and see if Utah is near the top.

I assume you are saying that Majerus would be among the top 30, and probably in the top 10, right?
It might be a good comparison. I wouldn't say Utah was a top 10 program over the Majerus era, though. Don't know. As a test, I'd take average computer rankings for BB teams during that time period, and then compare to NBA draft picks.