cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default Next year's team

I got to thinking last night about next year's basketball team. It is tough not to because although this team is good it is also young. Below I will try and break down what we have for next year. Please feel free to correct any incorrect information.

LOSING
Vuc Ivanovic, Ben Murdock and Sam Burgess are all seniors and won't have eligibility for next year.

Chris Collinsworth and Nick Martineau are both going to be on missions.

GETTING
Jackson Emery will be returning from his mission. He is listed as 6'3" and 175 lbs. From his freshman year I recall that he played with a lot of energy but not a ton of skill. Jackson had quick feet and hands IIRC and could shoot from deep if left open. I don't expect him to contribute next year. He might even redshirt.
Noah Hartsock will be returning from his mission. He was listed at 6'8" and 200 lbs. coming out of high school. I expect Noah to compete for the reserve power forward spot. He was known in school for his post moves coupled with the ability to shoot from range. I suspect he will fill Collinsworth's roll from this year. The only caveat, it is tough to come back from a mission. A lot will depend on when he gets his legs back etc. Luckily, we will only need reserve minutes from him so he won't be too worn out by the end of the season.

ROSTER
Seniors: Lee Cummard, Trent Plaisted and Archie Rose. This will be the strength of the team. Lee and Trent have both played for 3 years in the program and should have a drive to make their senior year special. The only issues with this class: 1) Trent may go pro...he will need a nice tournament showing to go first round but if he hits first round he may go 2) Archie Rose is dead weight...maybe coach can make something out of his athleticism but his body language tells me he is fairly unteachable.

Juniors: Last year this class looked empty with only JT in it. Going into next year it will include Jonathon Tavernari, Chris Miles, Lamont Morgan, and Gavin MacGregor. JT is improving in direct correlation to his shot selection. Miles and MacGregor will be a key for us if TP goes pro. The only issues with this class: 1) I was not impressed with Morgan's speed or offense...if coach can find a spot for this kid's ball handling to fit and I am wrong about his quickness, he could be a contributor against teams with quick, penetrating guards. We could have used that this year and will need it next year. 2) I don't know if Miles will finish his development or if MacGregor will develop. Both have nice frames and play physical ball. At the least they can guard in the post.

Sophomores: Jimmer Fredette and Michael Loyd, Jr. I have grown to love both of these players. Jimmer has really found a roll on this team and could be a starter next year. Michael Loyd has done the same. I expect their development to continue and both to be strengths of next year's team. The only issues with this class: 1) Who will play what? Jimmer was a PG in HS who is now playing shooting guard. Michael was a shooting guard in HS who is now playing PG. Will Rose continue with this experiment? 2) Loyd's shot from range is not there yet. He is the better of the two on D but lacks the ability to force others to guard him. He also needs to get comfortable finishing in the paint with the big boys. He looked like he had that but seems to have lost it. 3) Fredette needs to improve his decision making on D. he gambles a bit too much.

Freshmen: James Anderson and Matt Pinegar are complete unknowns to me. Anderson still looks like he has a tapeworm. Hopefully Anderson develops. He looks like the kind of kid that will fit in nicely at the 5 where we already have the depth to bring him along slowly. If he does contribute next year it will be at the 4 behind JT competing with Hartsock.

It looks like our starting 5 next year will be:
Trent Plaisted
Jonathon Tavernari
Lee Cummard
Jimmer Fredette
Michael Loyd, Jr.

Our next 5 will be:
Chris Miles
Noah Hartsock or James Anderson (tough to call, there is a gap here)
Archie Rose
Matt Pinegar or Jackson Emery (My guess is Pinegar and Emery RS)
Lamont Morgan

Our depth at the wings is suspect. Lee and Jimmer will do well but behind them we have Archie, Pinegar and Emery. None of those inspire confidence. Our depth at the 4 isn't good either but we can go big there. A lot will depend on how will Noah gets his legs back. Even if they come back, JT will see a lot of minutes because of post mission fatigue. I expect Rose will have Jimmer cross train at the PG spot to add depth before we get to Pinegar or Morgan. I don't think we have a depth problem at center even if Trent goes pro.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't we get a commit this year from Utah, some guard?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

If everybody stays (meaning Trent) this team has the potential to make a deep tourney run next year.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
If everybody stays (meaning Trent) this team has the potential to make a deep tourney run next year.
I agree. I think they have a chance to make it all the way to the MWC tourney championship next year if everyone stays healthy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I agree. I think they have a chance to make it all the way to the MWC tourney championship next year if everyone stays healthy.
You're being very generous, as I bet they can make it to the semi-finals. With our lack of guard play, we won't ever make it in the Tourney. Tyler Haws may propel us but not until we sign and play somebody of his caliber.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How do you know? You've quit watching.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The description of our future at the 1 and 2 is putting lipstick on a pig.

Average at best. Lloyd and Fredette are not a combo that will drive you to a win in the NCAA tourney. They won't even be able to hold serve against the backcourts of good teams.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Charles Abuo will be a fresman. He will be good at the wing for us. I see him as our eventual starting 3 when Lee leaves. THe kid is about 6'4" 220 and is pretty athletic. He has an outside game and a post up game. I don't think he dribbles really well though, but enough for the 3 spot. I would expect him to contribute as a freshman.

He is playing at a prep school in NH along with one of Jimmer's AAU teamates Mark Lyons. Here is the link to their team.

http://www.brewsteracademy.org/athle...tball_boys.php

Here is another link. He is the 4th highest scorer on a team full of D1 Players averaging 9.6 pts a game.

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Pla...8/NewHampshire

Last edited by Prof-Bball; 02-07-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I seem to recall that Jackson Emery played quite well towards the end of his freshman year, just prior to his mission. He was outstanding his senior year in HS (#1 player in the state). He should be productive once he gets his legs back.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The description of our future at the 1 and 2 is putting lipstick on a pig.

Average at best. Lloyd and Fredette are not a combo that will drive you to a win in the NCAA tourney. They won't even be able to hold serve against the backcourts of good teams.
Jimmer needs to be the primary pg next year. He is averaging close to 7 pts and 3 assists a game in conference play with an assist to turnover ratio of about 2.1/1 while shooting near 40% from 3. He is doing this in less than 17 mpg. Last night he had 10 & 5 in 20 minutes with 3 really nice drive and dishes.

I disagree with K-Dog. I have seen nothing this year that leads me to beleive that Lloyd is going to be the future at pg on this team. If he was he would be playing more. I think you would agree that the pg is the weakest position on the team and lloyd is consistantly the eighth guy off the bench. I do not see the progress or skills that he has seen. If the coaches want Lloyd to back up the point that is fine, but he should be strictly a combo guard not designated pg.

There was a play last night that encapsulated my vision of Lloyd on this team. I think JT got a steal and Lloyd took off down the floor beating everyone down the floor and received the pass for an easy layup. I think he and his skills are much better for that type of a roll. It should be him and Emery competeing for the starting 2 guard next year.

Of course this is all just biased opinion.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote