cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Good strategy for U vs BYU

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=3500361

This is the right strategy for them. Plaisted sucks against Nevill--both offensively and defensively. If I were Rose, I would consider going to Miles early and often and depending on how the Plaisted/Miles/Nevill matchups go maybe he splits time with Plaisted 50-50.

If I were Utah, I would do nothing special for JT. If he's on, BYU will win no matter how you defend him. If he's not on, Utah has a decent chance. But you can't afford to game plan for him with Plaisted, Cummard, and other outside shooters. I think in this case, you just hope he's not on. Maybe get physical with him especially early on, that's about it as far as a different approach.

I like Funk's post. He tries to paint himself as a BB expert and then says wacko stuff like U should use a triangle and two vs BYU.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=3500361

This is the right strategy for them. Plaisted sucks against Nevill--both offensively and defensively. If I were Rose, I would consider going to Miles early and often and depending on how the Plaisted/Miles/Nevill matchups go maybe he splits time with Plaisted 50-50.

If I were Utah, I would do nothing special for JT. If he's on, BYU will win no matter how you defend him. If he's not on, Utah has a decent chance. But you can't afford to game plan for him with Plaisted, Cummard, and other outside shooters. I think in this case, you just hope he's not on. Maybe get physical with him especially early on, that's about it as far as a different approach.

I like Funk's post. He tries to paint himself as a BB expert and then says wacko stuff like U should use a triangle and two vs BYU.
Yes it is a terrible idea to try to lock down Cummard and JT with a triangle and two. Plaisted is only dangerous in the post, so keep Nevill in the post to guard Plaisted. Let Burgess and Murdock beat you.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Yes it is a terrible idea to try to lock down Cummard and JT with a triangle and two. Plaisted is only dangerous in the post, so keep Nevill in the post to guard Plaisted. Let Burgess and Murdock beat you.
Burgess beat you last time. And that was with 2 of our big 3 going 2/17 for a combined 6 points.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It might work if you invert the triangle and let Neville take Trent 1 on 1 in the post with the other two parts of your triangle extending high.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Utah defending BYU with a triangle and two on Cummard and JT in the Marriott Center is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Plaisted would tear you apart inside and we would bomb three's all night.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

You might want to try a line and three, making sure Nevill stays on TP. With all the talk of Burgess stepping up, you might even want to try a dot and four.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
You might want to try a line and three, making sure Nevill stays on TP. With all the talk of Burgess stepping up, you might even want to try a dot and four.
LOL. Funk, I thought you learned at the feet of the master during the 1990's.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Amoeba zone. All the way.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Play man defense straight up, but if Taverni misses his first shot attempt, use his guy to double up on Cummard and let Taverni jack up shots all night long.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Il...if Tav starts the night off 0-2 or 1-4 or something like that, I would just leave him and every time he touches the ball, just point at him and laugh and laugh and laugh. Tav has always seemed like the kind of guy that his head would explode if he gets mad enough. If Tav is hot, that creates a huge problem and a mismatch problem, if he is not, any player would be fine guarding Tav.

Defensively, I would leave Nevill on Plaisted all game long. Cummard is the problem. Tillie can handle him down low but gets killed outside. Not ideal, but you use Green to try and be physical with him and you use Bohra to try and be active with him. Either way, Cummard is going to get at least 15 points. Now, if they can keep him around that number, they have a chance.

Bryant, Kepkay and Drca just need to stay with the Y guards. I would not help down low on Plaisted (unless by something unexpected like Plaisted going off).

Cummard will have a good game...if you keep the guardline average and Tav is not hot, I like the Ute chances. If Cummard is really good and the guardline or Tav has a better than average game, Y wins this going away. Here's to hoping that Bryant gets his 25 and Nevill takes care of Plaisted offensively and defensively.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote