cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I agree with Il...if Tav starts the night off 0-2 or 1-4 or something like that, I would just leave him and every time he touches the ball, just point at him and laugh and laugh and laugh. Tav has always seemed like the kind of guy that his head would explode if he gets mad enough. If Tav is hot, that creates a huge problem and a mismatch problem, if he is not, any player would be fine guarding Tav.

Defensively, I would leave Nevill on Plaisted all game long. Cummard is the problem. Tillie can handle him down low but gets killed outside. Not ideal, but you use Green to try and be physical with him and you use Bohra to try and be active with him. Either way, Cummard is going to get at least 15 points. Now, if they can keep him around that number, they have a chance.

Bryant, Kepkay and Drca just need to stay with the Y guards. I would not help down low on Plaisted (unless by something unexpected like Plaisted going off).

Cummard will have a good game...if you keep the guardline average and Tav is not hot, I like the Ute chances. If Cummard is really good and the guardline or Tav has a better than average game, Y wins this going away. Here's to hoping that Bryant gets his 25 and Nevill takes care of Plaisted offensively and defensively.
Lee's not going to drive the ball to score. He's really not a perimeter scorer. He'll post you up and hit turnarounds, hit mid range jumpers off screen, and hit open three's. He scores most of his points it seems on fast breaks and garbage points. He'll have 18 points and it will be hard to remember more than a few of his baskets.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I'll make it this simple: If Bryant struggles from the field tonight......BYU will win going away. If not, then Utah will be in it right up to the end. He seems to be their barometer for success.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Lee's not going to drive the ball to score. He's really not a perimeter scorer. He'll post you up and hit turnarounds, hit mid range jumpers off screen, and hit open three's. He scores most of his points it seems on fast breaks and garbage points. He'll have 18 points and it will be hard to remember more than a few of his baskets.
I understand Lee's game very well. I am not nervous about him driving the lane, etc...I am nervous about him being too quick down low for Tillie and good enough and tall enough to shoot over Bohra or a smaller defender. You need an active ball player around him to keep him off the board and to disrupt him running up and down the court. The Utes don't have that. A Britton Johnsen or an Alex Jensen would have really taken Lee out of his game. But, obviously, the Utes do not have that type of player.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

For me the key is Cummard. utah should key on him, leave Nevill on Plaisted, and ignore Tav, as Tav is Tav's own worst enemy. If he's on, BYU wins big. If he's off, Utah has a great opportunity to lose its blue balls from last time. It'll be akin to a sailor on his first shore leave with a great new hooker, come what may.

Utah concerns me greatly, not knowing which Tav will show up. Cummard may be big enough to win any way, but it won't be pretty.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For me the key is Cummard. utah should key on him, leave Nevill on Plaisted, and ignore Tav, as Tav is Tav's own worst enemy. If he's on, BYU wins big. If he's off, Utah has a great opportunity to lose its blue balls from last time. It'll be akin to a sailor on his first shore leave with a great new hooker, come what may.

Utah concerns me greatly, not knowing which Tav will show up. Cummard may be big enough to win any way, but it won't be pretty.
Boylen likes it ugly.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Actually here's how to defend BYU. Trent comes in the middle, you punch him in the face. Cummard--punch him in the face. JT--punch him in the face. Burgess--punch him in the face. Jimmer, Murdock, Collinsworth--punch, punch, punch. Now you've got a few fouls but BYU is now standing at the three point line, afraid to come closer. You guard them tight out there, don't let them shoot three's. Easy win.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I'll make it this simple: If Bryant struggles from the field tonight......BYU will win going away. If not, then Utah will be in it right up to the end. He seems to be their barometer for success.
Rocky makes a great point. The discussion seems to be what happens if Cummard or Plaisted or anothe Y player do this or that, but most all of this season, the Utes have gone the way of Bryant.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Actually here's how to defend BYU. Trent comes in the middle, you punch him in the face. Cummard--punch him in the face. JT--punch him in the face. Burgess--punch him in the face. Jimmer, Murdock, Collinsworth--punch, punch, punch. Now you've got a few fouls but BYU is now standing at the three point line, afraid to come closer. You guard them tight out there, don't let them shoot three's. Easy win.
The preceding message was brought to you by mpfunkmajerus. Crap in a bucket, crap on a messageboard; it's all the same.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Rocky makes a great point. The discussion seems to be what happens if Cummard or Plaisted or anothe Y player do this or that, but most all of this season, the Utes have gone the way of Bryant.
BYU can gut out a win if Plaisted and JT struggle. They've done that this year in a few games.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
BYU can gut out a win if Plaisted and JT struggle. They've done that this year in a few games.
I haven't seen enough of BYU to confirm this, but you are the Y fan and have watched the games so I am inclined to blindly agree with you about this.

I really have no expectations for this game as it is a rivalry. Who woulda thunk that Burgess would be the man at the Huntsman Center?

A factor in BYU's favor is that the crimson moon may not have an effect tonight, as it will most likely be too cloudy to observe the lunar eclipse. Just as '84 football never happened because I didn't see it, Y players and fans may not see the moon turn to blood and therefore could claim that it didn't happen.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote