cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Yet with Majerus even when we were not athletic we still played great defense.
Majerus had guys who have had long NBA careers. Andre, Doleac, and than dude with the high socks who thinks he is a better shooter than he really is.

Those weren't the most athletic guys, but they were ball players.

It was funny watching the Utes play offense. Just standing around, maybe the occasional cut or pick. It was just sad.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Majerus had guys who have had long NBA careers. Andre, Doleac, and than dude with the high socks who thinks he is a better shooter than he really is.

Those weren't the most athletic guys, but they were ball players.

It was funny watching the Utes play offense. Just standing around, maybe the occasional cut or pick. It was just sad.
Of course what you describe about the Ute offense is also a coaching issue. Majerus still had success after KVH, Miller, and Doleac were out of the program.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure Giacolletti is not saying "just stand around on the court."

We've all played pickup basketball. Ballplayers play ball.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Giacoletti is saying, "Help me Mr. Wizard! Please Mr. Wizard, I don't want to be a DI coach anymore!"

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
mpfunk

Quote:

Well whatever he is saying it is not getting through to players. I hate to keep coming back to Majerus, because I don't expect Majerus coaching ability, but Majerus would have used every profanity known to man in creative ways to get the team executing on offense and defense. He would also include visual aids in his tirade as well. This team really needs to learn the six-inch defense.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #16
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've yet to see evidence of it. You can't put it all on the coach.
Did you feel that way about Crowton?

Simple as this … I've seen the Utes on tv twice and the Cougs in person once. Utah has as much or more talent than BYU, the difference is coaching.

It was evident to me that the cougs are soft and will be overmatched at guard more often than not. Ainge cannot play 30 minutes against better competition without seriously hurting the team. The Broadus problem is gone and guys who should’ve been getting all of the minutes are getting the minutes. Their bigs play like soft sixteen year old Europeans taking stupid outside shots, unable to bang and control the boards. Yet Rose has a good rotation of players filling defined roles to minimize the deficiencies and take advantage of the strengths. If they make the tournament they will be beat in the first round.

It is evident to me watching the Utes that they have a lot of young talent yet the players do not know their roles and have little concept of basic principles of defensive spacing and filling lanes ... How many times do you see a Ute defender let an opponent get to the baseline and THEN to the basket? How often do you see them boxing out?

It’s coaching pure and simple. They play the game like pick-up ball because of poorly defined roles and a lack of teaching basketball 101.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #17
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Did you feel that way about Crowton?

Simple as this … I've seen the Utes on tv twice and the Cougs in person once. Utah has as much or more talent than BYU, the difference is coaching.

It was evident to me that the cougs are soft and will be overmatched at guard more often than not. Ainge cannot play 30 minutes against better competition without seriously hurting the team. The Broadus problem is gone and guys who should’ve been getting all of the minutes are getting the minutes. Their bigs play like soft sixteen year old Europeans taking stupid outside shots, unable to bang and control the boards. Yet Rose has a good rotation of players filling defined roles to minimize the deficiencies and take advantage of the strengths. If they make the tournament they will be beat in the first round.

It is evident to me watching the Utes that they have a lot of young talent yet the players do not know their roles and have little concept of basic principles of defensive spacing and filling lanes ... How many times do you see a Ute defender let an opponent get to the baseline and THEN to the basket? How often do you see them boxing out?

It’s coaching pure and simple. They play the game like pick-up ball because of poorly defined roles and a lack of teaching basketball 101.
I fully endorse this post.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #18
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This team really needs to learn the six-inch defense.
I thought it was the 2 inch defense?
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #19
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
I thought it was the 2 inch defense?
I think you are confusing this with danoconda's naked Steve Young dream.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #20
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Well whatever he is saying it is not getting through to players. I hate to keep coming back to Majerus, because I don't expect Majerus coaching ability, but Majerus would have used every profanity known to man in creative ways to get the team executing on offense and defense. He would also include visual aids in his tirade as well. This team really needs to learn the six-inch defense.
It was two and not one inch more.