cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #11
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
however your chances of winning a road game are much less. the power conferences don't play any road games against mid-majors.
I don't disagree with that. You are absolutely right about that. I think there should be an adjustment; I just think that the 1.4/0.6 split is too big. The split was created based on how often historically the home team beats the road team but it didn't take into account that on average the home team is better than the road team in NCAA basketball because really good teams don't have to play as many road games.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Home teams win roughly 70% of the time in college basketball which correlates nicely with the 1.4/0.6 road-home weighting in the new RPI formula.

The top 8 seeds in this year's NCAA tournament went a combined 495-55 (0.900) at home this year.

The revision in the formula was ostensibly to reward teams that won on the road and also to incentivize bigger schools to play a higher ratio of road games, but there is no sign that the bigger schools have altered their scheduling strategy.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

there is no incentive to do so when RPI is completely ignored.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Home teams win roughly 70% of the time in college basketball which correlates nicely with the 1.4/0.6 road-home weighting in the new RPI formula.

The top 8 seeds in this year's NCAA tournament went a combined 495-55 (0.900) at home this year.

The revision in the formula was ostensibly to reward teams that won on the road and also to incentivize bigger schools to play a higher ratio of road games, but there is no sign that the bigger schools have altered their scheduling strategy.
If it is really part of a policy directive to get power teams to play more road games, then I am fine with it. However, it is over-compensating.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
If it is really part of a policy directive to get power teams to play more road games, then I am fine with it. However, it is over-compensating.
I think the weighting is simply trying to make a home/road game a break-even proposition as far as the RPI goes. If the expectation is that overall teams will win 30% of the time on the road:

20 road games, 10 home games

(20 * 1.4 * 0.3) + (10 * 0.6 * 0.7) = 12.6

10 road games, 20 home games

(10 * 1.4 * 0.3) + (20 * 0.6 * 0.7) = 12.6

The question is how does it hurt/help better teams to play more games on the road. Let's assume top teams (RPI Top 50 or so) have a 90% chance of winning at home and 60% on the road:

20 road games, 10 home games

(20 * 1.4 * 0.6) + (10 * 0.6 * 0.9) = 22.2

10 road games, 20 home games

(10 * 1.4 * 0.6) + (20 * 0.6 * 0.9) = 19.2

Obviously, no one is going to schedule 20 road games and 10 home games, but I'm just trying to illustrate the principle. Apparently, the combination of lost home ticket revenue and the volatility of expected road success offsets the expected gains in RPI by playing more games on the road.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Maybe BYU should start a lawsuit, allege racketeering, seek an injuction. That would show them.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Maybe BYU should start a lawsuit, allege racketeering, seek an injuction. That would show them.
sounds like a good pro bono project for you.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #18
Indy Coug

I don't think his Cougarguard resume is impressive enough for someone to take him even on a pro bono basis.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #19
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I think the weighting is simply trying to make a home/road game a break-even proposition as far as the RPI goes. If the expectation is that overall teams will win 30% of the time on the road:
Yes, that is true. I understand where the 1.4/0.6 comes from. I just think it is the wrong weighting because on average the home team is better than the road team. I mean that the home team has a greater than 50% of beating the road team if they played on a neutral court. This fact isn't going to be true for conference schedules, but it is going to be true for non-conference schedule (and thus true at least to some degree overall) where power teams schedule patsies which inflates the home team winning percentage to 70% and the 1.4/0.6 ratio. I think the ratio should be smaller and based on how often the home team beats the road team when both teams have similar ranks. I think that would push the ratio down to 1.3/0.7 or maybe 1.2/0.8.

Last edited by pelagius; 03-13-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:57 AM   #20
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Yes, that is true. I understand where the 1.4/0.6 comes from. I just think it is the wrong weighting because on average the home team is better than the road team. I mean that the home team has a greater than 50% of beating the road team if they played on a neutral court. This fact isn't going to be true for conference schedules, but it is going to be true for non-conference schedule (and thus true at least to some degree overall) where power teams schedule patsies which inflates the home team winning percentage to 70% and the 1.4/0.6 ratio. I think the ratio should be smaller and based on how often the home team beats the road team when both teams have similar ranks. I think that would push the ratio down to 1.3/0.7 or maybe 1.2/0.8.
So just look at conference home/road records, that should pretty much do the trick, since every team plays every other team both home and away (at least in most conferences). So because I know where to get it, and I'm too lazy at the moment to get any other info, let's take the 2007 MWC as a sample. Let's see, 72 regular season games, 51 won by the home team...Hey, that computes to 70.8%. Hmmm, 1.4/0.6 is pretty much right on the money...
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote