cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Current DUI laws anger me

I won't say much, but to say that most current DUI laws are pathetic and the fact that so many multiple DUI's occur with one individual angers me further.

But honestly what can be done about it? Too many wimpy judges not willing to fully enforce what's available to them. I understand that alcoholism is a stain on that person's ability to make coherent decisions, but damn,,,,,DUI's piss me off.

Some people think my idea of 5-10 years prison time MANDATORY after one offense is too harsh. I don't think so.

My cousin was killed over the weekend due to a drunk driver. Ten years ago one of my best friends and old missionary companions was killed by a drunk driver one week before his wedding.

It pisses me off that there aren't harsher penalties for this. DUI Lawyers should get their asses kicked.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 03-19-2007 at 06:59 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your cousin...that kind of sensless disregard for other people on the roads is very troublesome for me as well.

I've got a friend out here who was in Alcoholics Anonymous before she was even old enough to drink. By the time she got to AA, she had 2 dui's under her belt and had driven under the influence a number of other times.

By court order, she had to have a breathalizer installed in her car to have it start. I think that this is something that would help, but I have a hard time thinking that some judge somewhere wouldn't rule it as an invasion of civil liberties...and unless it was ordered by the law, the automobile industry probably won't make a move towards it.

Drunk driving is something that severly needs changes in the preventative measures taken towards it. If we rely on laws soley intended to punish people who've already committed the crime, we're not doing enough IMO.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Sorry to hear about your cousin...that kind of sensless disregard for other people on the roads is very troublesome for me as well.

I've got a friend out here who was in Alcoholics Anonymous before she was even old enough to drink. By the time she got to AA, she had 2 dui's under her belt and had driven under the influence a number of other times.

By court order, she had to have a breathalizer installed in her car to have it start. I think that this is something that would help, but I have a hard time thinking that some judge somewhere wouldn't rule it as an invasion of civil liberties...and unless it was ordered by the law, the automobile industry probably won't make a move towards it.

Drunk driving is something that severly needs changes in the preventative measures taken towards it. If we rely on laws soley intended to punish people who've already committed the crime, we're not doing enough IMO.

The ACLU be damned. They can kiss my ass too.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 AM   #4
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default Utah has the toughest DUI laws going

Judges can order the breathing devices for cars.

The offender has to pay for their service and installation.

I don't know about the 5-10 on first offense but I also favor stricter laws.

Drunk, or drugged driving is just selfish
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I was reading the paper today. Country Western singer's car broke down, was walking along the highway and struck and killed by drunk driver.

Senseless. And happens all the freaking time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Link to an article.
http://thecelebritycafe.com/features/9278.html
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 AM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Within the span of 1 year we had two very inactive Priest aged kids from our ward involved in separate accidents. The first was a passenger in a car in which the driver was drunk. They crashed getting onto I-5 and all were ejected onto the freeway. It gets worse. While laying in the middle of the freeway their car was struck by ANOTHER drunk driver. This kid broke his back but has made a full recovery. Oh, and he won a $100,000 settlement against his friend and the other driver.

The other kid slammed into a car head on very early in the morning while intoxicated. He killed a young mother who was about a block from home. Apparently, she tested positive for meth. This young man has been in prison for almost 3 years now (he was 17 when he committed the crime) and is due to be released this year I believe.

Besides the tragedy of senseless death and injury, these stories also make me afraid to be on the roads at night. The fact that in both cases every driver involved was impaired is absolutely frightening.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:03 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I won't say much, but to say that most current DUI laws are pathetic and the fact that so many multiple DUI's occur with one individual angers me further.

But honestly what can be done about it? Too many wimpy judges not willing to fully enforce what's available to them. I understand that alcoholism is a stain on that person's ability to make coherent decisions, but damn,,,,,DUI's piss me off.

Some people think my idea of 5-10 years prison time MANDATORY after one offense is too harsh. I don't think so.

My cousin was killed over the weekend due to a drunk driver. Ten years ago one of my best friends and old missionary companions was killed by a drunk driver one week before his wedding.

It pisses me off that there aren't harsher penalties for this. DUI Lawyers should get their asses kicked.
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin Rocky. I've lost family members to drunk criminals too.

I agree with you about the need for harsher penalties - though I feel 5-10 years is too little. If it were up to me, the penalty for the first DUI would be a mandatory 15 years in prison. A 2nd DUI would be life without parole. If there are casualties in that first DUI, life without the possibility of parole. And all time served should be done so with manual labor 6 days a week for 12 hours each day. If my taxes are going to pay to keep these people fed, clothed and given medical care, they damn well better earn it.

I don't care if someone is an alcoholic or not. Choosing to drink and drive is such a horrible crime that is nothing but selfishness on the part of the offender.

FWIW, I think all this should apply to Marquis Wilson. He should be booted of the team and sent to prison to think about what he's done.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:12 AM   #9
RockyBalboa

For the record I didn't know this particular cousin all that well, but I do know he was very well liked by his peers, and the times I sat and talked with him it was very obvious why he was so well liked. Finding out about his death made me reflect in my sometimes too harsh feelings and opinions that I have in communicating with certain people and realized that I should probably emulate his mannerisms more in being able to defuse contention instead of increasing it. I spoke with his mom today and she said that was his best attribute was being able to defuse contention with ease and make everyone feel better.

He was a good man.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 AM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

I feel the same way about cell phones. They are just as dangerous.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Dri...830105036.html