cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default Morning after pill

My niece got drunk and had unprotected sex with a guy she met at a bar while in Europe. My brother and his wife encouraged her to take the morning after pill, which she did. She was barely 18 at the time.

I think my brother and his wife were wrong. I'm fine with birth control, but not the morning after pill. There is a difference between preventing life and ending it. The scientific niceties of what a two-day old zygote is does not concern me. I would have told my daughter that one of the consequences of her actions was the possibility that she could get pregnant. The sexual act is the means by which life is created, and if she performs that act irresponsibly, it could have life altering consequences.

Small choices can have cataclysmic consequences. Life is hard. We have to accept the consequences of our actions. Blunting them with the convenience of modern technology is moral robbery in my opinion.

And my attitude does not come from a perspective of punishment. The damage to her soul by taking the morning-after pill, and the fundamental altering of her worldview that occurred when she did so, are much worse then carrying a baby to term and then giving it up for adoption. Morning sickness, the heartache of giving the baby up, yes. But such pains do nothing to her soul. The quick fix for heedless sex, the ending of life, does much to her soul.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12

Last edited by Levin; 08-20-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote