cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Failure to inoculate strikes again.

One thing that I noticed (and this is assuming this is an actual true recording and not a fraud) is that absolutely none of Lamborn's complaints are given any credence. Instead, the stake president, when he speaks, argues with him.

It seems terribly unproductive to argue. Maybe the Stake President was more concerned about defending the church in front of the other men.

Clearly, Lamborn wants to be excommunicated, I'm not arguing about that.

Isn't arguing with him a form of inoculation for the other Brethren on the court?

Regardless, I wouldn't have argued with him. Further, sometimes I think my worlds and others are enormously different. I genuinely don't understand how this guy was as old as he was and not aware of Joseph's polygamy. I can give him polyandry as I was older when I became aware of that, but I don't blame the Church for him not being properly inoculated. I think the Church has some culpability as it has clearly fostered a culture of defense and while I don't believe the Church has suppressed information, it certainly isn't exaclty forthright and there is little question that it has historically preferred that certain things not be well promulgated. My world ain't so binary that open sharing instantly equates to suppression. However, I think the blame for Lyndon's ignorance rests upon Lyndon and perhaps his parents as much as the Church. The guy has no interest in independent thought until his 30's or 40's until he is shaken a bit, and then suddenly he then begins to question Nephi's steel bow or Mahonrimoreancumr's glass stones. Part of my "judgemental nature" of him, admittedly spawning from my innate desire to defend the Church, is that he is a little embarassed that he never questioned such historical inconsistencies for so long so he is lashing out and blaming the Church for keeping him ignorant. All those example that he quoted are conclusions he could have come to on his own throughout his life. The Church didn't keep him ignorant about steel or glass during his 1st-4th campaigns as an EQP.

I do think that some inoculation would help, but I am not convinced it would have the impact some of you do. I am a bit of mullah at heart, but I am totally convinced that the only thing that works is spiritual experiences. I don't know what Lyndon felt with his burning in the bosom and tingling experiences, but I do know what I have personally felt. No amount of inoculation will compensate for consistent spiritual experiences, and I think the Church is correct to put more emphasis on having spiritual experiences.

All in all, it is a sad event for many I am sure. I wish Lyndon all the luck in the world.

Last edited by Goatnapper'96; 02-29-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Goatnapper'96 is offline   Reply With Quote