cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you treat phone solicitors?
I listen to the pitch and consider buying their wares 0 0%
I hang up on them 6 22.22%
I treat them like a POS 3 11.11%
I politely try to extricate myself asap without being rude 18 66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2007, 01:50 AM   #21
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a nice example today, not a telemarketer but a door to door salesman. However this was not your ordinary salesman this kid couldnt have been more than 12 or 13. It went like this

Kid: Hello sir, i am going door to door to try and earn money for college, now i am not begging for money or anything like that, i just want to grow up to be succesful and live in a nice house like this. In order to do that i got a summer job with the local paper the Daily Herald. They are giving away free subscriptions monday through saturday. Now you look smart so you obviously know that if they were completely free there is no way i would end up at college or make any money. So all that we ask is that you pay $20 a month for the sunday paper. You can cancel at anytime.

Me: Sorry i dont live here, i am just the gardener.

Kid: oh sorry......(puzzled look), um ok. (he leaves)

My wife got mad at me and said he had a good sales pitch and i should have bought the paper.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:13 AM   #22
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Selling Yellow Book USA advertising I have to cold call inside of businesses frequently. I've found that most are very nice and accomodating even if they aren't interested in that form of media advertising.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:19 AM   #23
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

It depends on my mood. Often I just listen to find out what they're selling and then tell them I'm not interested but thanks for calling.

If I'm in a great mood I'll listen to them go thru their initial thing and then ask (in the creepiest vo"What are you wearing?" It doesn't matter if it's a boy or a girl...

If you plan to try this, you can't blink, you have to go all in... If they come back with "What?" or "Excuse me?" You have to keep it rolling with something like "I'll bet it makes your @$$ look hot."

They usually hang up pretty quickly...
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #24
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE View Post
It depends on my mood. Often I just listen to find out what they're selling and then tell them I'm not interested but thanks for calling.

If I'm in a great mood I'll listen to them go thru their initial thing and then ask (in the creepiest vo"What are you wearing?" It doesn't matter if it's a boy or a girl...

If you plan to try this, you can't blink, you have to go all in... If they come back with "What?" or "Excuse me?" You have to keep it rolling with something like "I'll bet it makes your @$$ look hot."

They usually hang up pretty quickly...
I try to be nice but I turn into the "treat them like a POS" pretty quickly. I politely tell them I'm not interested. When they persist (they always do) I tell them very firmly that I said I wasn't interested and the conversation is over. If they keep talking I just hang up on them.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:28 AM   #25
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Selling Yellow Book USA advertising I have to cold call inside of businesses frequently. I've found that most are very nice and accomodating even if they aren't interested in that form of media advertising.
I thought you were a headhunter.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
i had a nice example today, not a telemarketer but a door to door salesman. However this was not your ordinary salesman this kid couldnt have been more than 12 or 13. It went like this

Kid: Hello sir, i am going door to door to try and earn money for college, now i am not begging for money or anything like that, i just want to grow up to be succesful and live in a nice house like this. In order to do that i got a summer job with the local paper the Daily Herald. They are giving away free subscriptions monday through saturday. Now you look smart so you obviously know that if they were completely free there is no way i would end up at college or make any money. So all that we ask is that you pay $20 a month for the sunday paper. You can cancel at anytime.

Me: Sorry i dont live here, i am just the gardener.

Kid: oh sorry......(puzzled look), um ok. (he leaves)

My wife got mad at me and said he had a good sales pitch and i should have bought the paper.
So, Y'zGuy has finally decided that working to get money is a better idea than begging for money so he can sniff jocks?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote