cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hey, Dirty, are you a Ben Folds guy?

He just announced that he'll playing Moscow in early March. If you like the music and you like concerts, his is worth hitting. He's a great live performer and a musical talent you don't see often.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hey, Dirty, are you a Ben Folds guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head
He just announced that he'll playing Moscow in early March. If you like the music and you like concerts, his is worth hitting. He's a great live performer and a musical talent you don't see often.
i love ben folds...

moscow, early march, sounds like a lot of fun.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Also another bit of advice Dirty Hippie, University of Idaho puts on the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival every year. It is February 22-25. The only artist there this year that I'm really aware of is Roy Hargrove. He is actually very good. I used to know the types at these festivals better, but I have really gone away from the type of jazz that is typically presented at jazz festivals.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Damn! It's on a Sunday!

He's playing the Kibbie Dome too, not the usual hole called "John's Alley."

Somehow I doubt I'm going to be able to talk Mrs. Hippie into this but I'll have to try...

Thanks for the heads up.
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk
Also another bit of advice Dirty Hippie, University of Idaho puts on the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival every year.
That's pretty much all anybody in town is talking about at the moment. Mrs. Hippie & Co. have already picked out the acts they want to see...
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hey, Dirty, are you a Ben Folds guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head
Is he solo now or is he in a band? I heard a song a few months back and would have bet a lot of money that he was doing the vocals. However, it was a band I'd never heard of. I thought maybe he had some new gig going.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Ben Folds is one of my favorites.

I wish he'd come to Utah. I heard he had a bad experience or something last time he was here and vowed never to come back, which I selfishly hope isn't true cause I'd love to watch him perform.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #8
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Ben Folds is doing it all solo now, but he's doing a good volume (with quality). He just released a DVD in December of a concert he did in Perth with the Western Australia Symphony Orchestra and it's awesome. He didn't do the arrangements -- he let locals choose a song and have their way with it -- but you can tell he knows a lot about theory and can really adjust his music and playing to a variety of styles.

As for the Utah thing, I saw him a few years ago in SF at the Fillmore and he said he had just been playing in SLC and Idaho and I think he just bored by the areas. He sang a song about how much Idaho sucked, but that it didn't suck more than Utah. I don't remember any specifics as to the reason for the suckiness but he didn't mention church stuff at all.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:07 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
I wish he'd come to Utah. I heard he had a bad experience or something last time he was here and vowed never to come back, which I selfishly hope isn't true cause I'd love to watch him perform.
U2 also had a bad experience in Utah way back in about '79 or so and vowed to never come back.

If a celebrity doesn't want to come to Utah, I am ok with it. I'd rather keep this place to myself anyway.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:00 AM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
U2 also had a bad experience in Utah way back in about '79 or so and vowed to never come back.
I thought it was in about '85 or '86 - I seem to remember hearing that they had played an old club called "Plastique" not long before Joshua Tree came out and they really hit it big. My freshman year was '86, and I thought it was right around that time.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote