cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #91
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I didn't say that African American spiritual music might chase the Spirit away.
But you're insensitive to the concerns of new African American members and your sole response is, "Bednar says we shouldn't be so sensitive; they need to learn to get with the program and obey their masters."

That's how it comes off.

We have new members, who come from a culture where certain things are meaningful. Do we just push square pegs into round holes, or do we consider their interests and make appropriate accommodations? I say we make accommodations on such seemingly small issues as music and help edify everybody. Our WASPy sensibilities be damned.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #92
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But you're insensitive to the concerns of new African American members and your sole response is, "Bednar says we shouldn't be so sensitive; they need to learn to get with the program and obey their masters."

That's how it comes off.

We have new members, who come from a culture where certain things are meaningful. Do we just push square pegs into round holes, or do we consider their interests and make appropriate accommodations? I say we make accommodations on such seemingly small issues as music and help edify everybody. Our WASPy sensibilities be damned.
That is certainly not my "sole response." You appear to be incapable of comprehending what my point was.

Last edited by Tex; 07-30-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Removing personal attack.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #93
Archaea

Quote:
That is certainly not my "sole response."
Well, it behooves the intellectual superior to explain it to us untouchables what the mighty mean.

You are coming across like a racist as you have in past times.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #94
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Well, it behooves the intellectual superior to explain it to us untouchables what the mighty mean.

You are coming across like a racist as you have in past times.
I've already explained my position sufficiently. It's not my fault if you refuse to understand it.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #95
Archaea

Quote:
I've already explained my position sufficiently. It's not my fault if you refuse to understand it.
Of course, never admit it might be your inadequacy at articulating it.

These are Tex's tenets.

Never ask or inquire about leadership, once they make a decision, the thinking's done.

Tell people not to be offended as no understanding is necessary.

Anybody who is incapable of understanding Texism is stupid. A Texan living in Arizona.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #96
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Originally Posted by Tex
I didn't say that African American spiritual music might chase the Spirit away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
That said, Bishops have the responsibility for maintaining a proper decorum for sacrament meeting, and believe me, if you lose control of the music you will, guaranteed, lose control of the Spirit in the meeting. It falls under his purview to decide what's appropriate and what isn't, and if he wants only hymns, I think that's his choice. It doesn't make him a white oppressor. His fault in this case is not making that clear to his counselors, and overreacting later.

Oh, you mean that comment.

LOL. I should take Tex off ignore just for the entertainment factor. I am guessing he will respond by telling you that you are twisting his words. Classic.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #97
FMCoug

FMCoug

This reminds me of a story my MP told me once. He was serving as SP at the time and there was a young man in one of the wards who had been caught smoking marijuana by another ward member. The ward member told the Bishop, who called the young man in, told him he couldn't bless the sacrament and that he needed to tell his parents. This is of course unknown to the ward member who turned him in.

The next Sunday comes along and the kid is up there blessing the Sacrament. The member who turned him in gets furious and calls the SP (my mission president, who knew nothing of any of this at this point). SP calls the Bishop about it and the Bishop tells him he had to make a judgment call at the time. He came in right as the meeting was going to start and saw the kid up there. To go over and tell him he couldn't bless would have been public humiliation. So he decided to go with mercy and let the meeting proceed. After the meeting he met with the kid and his parents ... etc.

Two points:

1. That is a Bishop who "gets it", unlike the Bishop in this story
2. The ward member who turned in the kid was out of line in calling the SP. He/She had done their duty by telling the Bishop.

So my thoughts on this situaion are that it should not be just dropped. Perhaps a meeting with the Bishop is a good starting point. Invoving the SP may or may not be right depending on the outcome of that meeting. An outcome you disagree with is not enough to go to the SP IMO. To the 2nd poitn above, if you go to the SP and "nothing happens", let it go.

The last thing I'd say is we only have one side of the story here. Perhaps the Bishop has counseled the choir director about music selections in the past and there was some disagreement ... he felt she was being "rebellious", etc. Not saying what he did was right, just that there are two sides to every story.

Regardless, the Bishop should have followed the example of the Bishop above and not cancelled it the morning of.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #98
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Oh, you mean that comment.

LOL. I should take Tex off ignore just for the entertainment factor. I am guessing he will respond by telling you that you are twisting his words. Classic.
Tex has been in top form today.

He said I twisted his words.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #99
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Tex has been in top form today.

He said I twisted his words.
You did. I did not say African American hymns chase away the Spirit.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #100
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
You did. I did not say African American hymns chase away the Spirit.
Just so you know, "Back in Black" is not an African American hymn. Thought we should clear that up.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote