cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Newsradio season 3 out February 28th

So the third season of this fine show is being released in a couple of weeks. One of the best shows out there. I realized when I made my list of top 5 comedy shows of all time I horribly left this one off. So here it is the top 5 best comedic shows.

1. The Simpsons: not what is used to be, but at its best nothing was better.
2. Newsradio: such an underrated show. Some of the best character development of any comedy out there.
3. Get a Life: no one watched this but the two seasons were pure gold. Probably would be number 2 if given another season
4. The Office (UK): Ricky Gervais is a comedic genius
5. Arrested Development.
Toughest ommission is Curb Your Enthusiasm.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My list:

1. The Andy Griffith Show - (Barney Fife Years) Don Kotts set the standard for secondary characters. (There was no Emmy for supporting actor/actress in a tv show until he came around. The category was created because of Barney Fife and Knotts won the first 4 or 5 until he left the show.) Kosmo Kramer owes Barney Fife everything. The writing was outstanding and each episode could be used to teach kids a life lesson.

2. The Simpsons - the best written show on tv today is a cartoon. I don't know if that's a bad thing, but I love it.

3. Get A Life - I think mp and I are the only two viewers of this show, which would be why it was only on for 2 seasons.

4. All In The Family - Archie Bunker was able to demonstrate everything wrong with bigoted people, yet how could we not love the guy?

5. The Family Guy - Yes, another cartoon. Nothing is sacred. Nothing is beyond mocking. Nothing about the show is redeeming in any way, but I can't help but laugh to the point of not being able to breathe at times and have to rewind the DVR in order to hear what I missed while laughing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute

2. The Simpsons - the best written show on tv today is a cartoon. I don't know if that's a bad thing, but I love it.
I like the writing of the Simpson's episodes in the 90s but around 2001 or 2002 the writing really took a nosedive. Some episodes have been just bad. I do still enjoy watching reruns on a daily basis, as the majority of the Simpson's episodes are just wonderful.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
realtall

I really enjoy NewsRadio as well. Dave Foley and Maura Tierney were genius in this as well as the great Stephen Root. Such an entertaining show. Maura's role in NR is far superior to her current role in ER. Andy Dick is crazy but he was also good.

I wish that it was syndicated; it would be nice to catch on WB or tbs.

Maybe I'll go out and pick up season 1.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute

I like the writing of the Simpson's episodes in the 90s but around 2001 or 2002 the writing really took a nosedive. Some episodes have been just bad. I do still enjoy watching the reruns on a daily basis, though.
I do agree that the writing isn't as good as it was in the 90s, but I think it's still the best written show today - not every episode, but collectively for the season.

And reruns are a part of the daily routine each evening at my house: watch The Simpsons while cooking dinner then turn off the tv after The Simpsons and eat dinner.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
realtall

I picked up a couple of cds a few weeks ago that hardcore simpsons fans would like; Songs in the Key of Springfield & Go Simpsonic with The Simpsons. I like the former better as it has some of the more famous simpson's songs such as "We Do(The Stonecutter's Song)", "Homer & Apu(Who Needs the Quickie Mart)", "Round Springfield(Lisa & Bleeding Gums Murphy jamming on sax)", "Senor Burns(Tito Puente)", and other good tunes.

Simpsonic is also good with songs like "Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious" & "Happy Just the Way We Are(Sheri Bobbins episode)" but it has more incidental tunes and filler stuff than Songs.

The bad news? These 2 albums are no longer being distributed; you have to buy them used. I bought both through the amazon.com marketplace without any problems though(and at a decent price).