cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
probably a replacement to the non-Mormon tradition of baptizing children.

It's one of those priesthood functions that is not a saving ordinance.

My opinion is that it functions as a recitation of Mormon values, for the Mormon audience to hear. i.e. "what is the definition of a good Mormon life."
I agree with this. To an outsider it probably seems like a ritual to tie the child to the church.

My daughter married a Catholic. Neither are what I would consider active practicers of their religion. However, my daughter wanted her son blessed in the church. A battle ensued with my daughter winning out.

Funny thing happened, maybe not so funny a year ago. My grandson announced to me he hated Mormons. I asked why and he let me know some kid in his kindegarten class told him he wasn't as good as the other kids because he wasn't Mormon.

I told him to tell anyone who says that to him again that his grandpa is a mormon, loves mormons and his grandpa says to f off.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #22
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
probably a replacement to the non-Mormon tradition of baptizing children.

It's one of those priesthood functions that is not a saving ordinance.

My opinion is that it functions as a recitation of Mormon values, for the Mormon audience to hear. i.e. "what is the definition of a good Mormon life."
I know I'm veering here, but why do some people address the baby when giving a blessing. The baby can't understand anything that is going on, so why address a blessing to it?

I guess this is my "thee" and "thou" dilemma.

On your point, I didn't look at as a mere recitation of Mormon values or for the opportunity to reaffirm those values with the audience. It is definitely a right of passage, and those are good for cultures, but I looked at it as an opportunity to bless my child with whatever I felt inclined. My babies usually just wailed through the whole thing, driving The Spirit into the next county.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I know I'm veering here, but why do some people address the baby when giving a blessing. The baby can't understand anything that is going on, so why address a blessing to it?
Tradition. My stake president has taught us that the correct way to bless a baby is to address HF the entire time.

No one in my ward has ever heeded his counsel, except for, ironically, me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #24
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
My daughter was struggling with fasting this last Sunday and the spousal unit was working with her while I was in PEC. Wifey asked her what she really really wanted, what had she really prayed about. Daughter (10 yrs old I should add) finally said, kind of embarrassed:

"Mom, I have really really prayed about flying. I really really want to fly and have asked God to let me be able to fly."

She was totally serious. We never knew about that one. Got to love the faith of children.
I hope God answers that one. Get her a jetpack or something.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #25
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
I'm also thinking of blessing him to be bulletproof. If Joseph Smith could bless Porter Rockwelll with that then my son can have similar blessings
He's going to need it until you guys get your butts out of the Detroit Metro Area.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #26
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
What is the history of blessing babies? How did it start?
I've been wondering about this too. When I was a missionary, a family blessed its 7 year-old because it hadn't been done. I thought it was a little strange, but not ridiculous.

(Assuming the bishop allows it,) I'm planning to bless our baby in a month or so. I've taken to just calling it a Christening (without baptism) - it makes things a lot easier to explain to non-LDS.

When did this become a standardized practice?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You'll find some leaders will tell you to do it that way, and others will say to address HF. I brought your exact statement to my bishop years ago and he told me that it didn't matter which way that I did it, just to do what I thought was correct. He did add though that he felt that addressing the baby was correct and said that we give blessings to the sick quite frequently who cannot hear or understand what is said.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #28
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

You think that's weird......try standing in front of a bunch of strangers you've never met at a funeral, most of them non-LDS and being asked to give the family prayer in front of an open casket before they close it.

I had to do this at a Funeral a week before I came home off my mission.

Easily one of the most uncomfortable experiences I've ever had.