cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Why is stealing signals cheating?

I'm not coming here like the Bonds apologists and saying stealing signals is okay. I'm just trying to understand. Here's why I'm confused. Signals are made in plain view. That's why they use signals instead of plackards with instructions in English. Isn't that right? If someone sees the signal and figures it out, what's wrong with that? I'm sure they have to adjust the code all the time to prevent this very thing occurring. In fact, signals are occasionally stolen in baseball, and I don't think it's called cheating.

I heard Frank Deford's windbaggery on NPR this morning. He compared Belichek to Nixon. But Watergate involved breaking and entering, burglary, that sort of stuff. Here signals are being filmed in plain view.

Please help me out. I'm not a moral piece of spaghetti. I just don't get it.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm not coming here like the Bonds apologists and saying stealing signals is okay. I'm just trying to understand. Here's why I'm confused. Signals are made in plain view. That's why they use signals instead of plackards with instructions in English. Isn't that right? If someone sees the signal and figures it out, what's wrong with that? I'm sure they have to adjust the code all the time to prevent this very thing occurring. In fact, signals are occasionally stolen in baseball, and I don't think it's called cheating.

I heard Frank Deford's windbaggery on NPR this morning. He compared Belichek to Nixon. But Watergate involved breaking and entering, burglary, that sort of stuff. Here signals are being filmed in plain view.

Please help me out. I'm not a moral piece of spaghetti. I just don't get it.
My interpretation is that its OK to figure out what signs are sent if you observe by normal means from your sideline or your players observe from the field, but if you use artificial means to spy from the other sideline, then it crosses the line. Same with listening to the headset conversations of the opponent. Its in the category of an "expectation of privacy", such that anything can't really be 100% private in a big stadium.

In a recent NFL game, I saw the Eagles had a guy holding up a towel to block the signs from view of the opponents in their huddle. That was before the New England case hit the fan, but maybe there was some paranoia about it already.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever ....but I think BYU ought to go back to the film room and memorize what happens when Tulsa sends in their play calls with their flashcards!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

my photoshop work from earlier:

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
.Please help me out. I'm not a moral piece of spaghetti. I just don't get it.
Stealing signals has long been part of the baseball chess match. It is an art form at the MLB level with all the indicators and catcher sequencing. Belichick took it a step too far by videotaping. I found the hero's welcome by Pats fans on Monday night interesting to say the least. Kind or reinforces our "win at any cost" philosophy. Machiavelli would be proud of American culture.

Last edited by Requiem; 09-19-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

He had also been previously warned about break the rule, and was presumably told that he would be punished severely if caught doing it in the future.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote