cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I was recently WML. Normal Coordination Meetings were me, the Ward Missionaries, and the FT Missionaries. I didn't want to invite anyone else, because

- Most of the people I'd invite already have enough meetings
- I could get everything done I needed to by following up afterwards

However, every single missionary that came through asked me why we didn't invite more people, and thought I was a loser WML (probably not far off), so I finally relented and started inviting everyone else one meeting per month, and I would make that meeting last 15 minutes after church. After I was released, the new WML started getting everyone there for every meeting.

My expert opinion is that this meeting is completely unnecessary if the following two conditions exist:

1. The missionaries only cover one ward
2. The missionaries attend PEC
I think what you did is great.

Your two conditions exist in my ward's case. Which is why I rarely attend the meeting.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Couldn't agree more.

I'm a ward missionary. The worst part about our weekly correlation meeting is that it's only 30 minutes long and is at 8:00 on Sunday mornings. And the church is 30 minutes from my house. Oh and our meetings are 12:30-3:30. So I have to drag my but out of bed early, put on a tie and drive an hour round trip for a 30 minute meeting that is usually worthless.
Who says you have to wear a tie? ~

8am, 30 minutes away, and your meetings start at 12:30pm?! Wow, there is no way in hell I would go.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Who says you have to wear a tie? ~

8am, 30 minutes away, and your meetings start at 12:30pm?! Wow, there is no way in hell I would go.
Our new building gets dedicated next month so it will change to 10 minutes away. And we just got a new WML so I am campaigining agressively for a Wednesday night meeting (same night as mutual).
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Or ones that involve more people than necessary?
Most stake meetings, including priesthood leadership meetings.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #15
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Or ones that involve more people than necessary?

I vote for missionary correlation meeting. Why do members from the auxiliary groups, and ward missionaries all need to be there? The ward mission leader should simply meet with the Elders, and then email/call the other leaders regarding any help the Elders need with fellowshipping, splits, etc.

Is there a meeting with more than 3-4 people at it, that is not a complete waste of time for at least half the people there?
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #16
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Our new building gets dedicated next month so it will change to 10 minutes away. And we just got a new WML so I am campaigining agressively for a Wednesday night meeting (same night as mutual).
These meetings aren't supposed to be held on Sundays anyway.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:36 PM   #17
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Our new Stake YM Pres. called a 6:30 AM(!) meeting with all the ward YM presidencies about a month ago. He emailed everyone a few days before and said the theme of the meeting would be "Top 10 things we can do to help the YM". Freaking ridiculous.

Being the Secretary, I had no intention of going, and I didn't. I talked to my Pres. a couple of days later, he said it was the stupidest waste of time ever, basically it was a new Stake YM Pres. trying to look like busy right out of the gate. I can't stand how many meetings we have, just for the sake of having meetings.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #18
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Our new Stake YM Pres. called a 6:30 AM(!) meeting with all the ward YM presidencies about a month ago. He emailed everyone a few days before and said the theme of the meeting would be "Top 10 things we can do to help the YM". Freaking ridiculous.

Being the Secretary, I had no intention of going, and I didn't. I talked to my Pres. a couple of days later, he said it was the stupidest waste of time ever, basically it was a new Stake YM Pres. trying to look like busy right out of the gate. I can't stand how many meetings we have, just for the sake of having meetings.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Most times the stake doesn't realize it's supposed to act as a support to the wards, not the other way around.

Our bishopric once had a woman who served in the stake submit a name she wanted from our ward to serve with her. The person wasn't available and the bishop politely declined and even suggested some alternatives. The woman was stunned. She said, "But I thought the stake got whatever (or whomever) it wants?"

Heh.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 10-26-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Most times the stake doesn't realize it's supposed to act as a support to the wards, not the other way around.

Our bishopric once had a woman who served in the stake submit a name she wanted from our ward to serve with her. The woman wasn't available and the bishop politely declined and even suggested some alternatives. The woman was stunned. She said, "But I thought the stake got whatever (or whomever) it wants?"

Heh.
This will vary from SP to SP. Our current SP very much sees the stake as a support to the wards. One of our past SPs saw it the opther way around (and I was always pleased that our bishop at the time, who is as faithful and middle fo the Road as they come, was a constant thorn in the SP's side becasue he thought the SP was stepping on ward toes when he shouldn't be).
Old 10-26-2007, 03:01 AM   #20
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

last week I had to go to a meeting that started at 11:30... I had to take my daughter as my wife was downtown at the detroit marathon. I get there at 11:30 (20 minutes to get to church) and they tell me the meetings was cancelled and i should have been called. I took my daughter hopped in the car and went home not to return...