cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I should care more about BYU basketball. AT least they have a theoretical chance of winning a NC.
Based on that, why don't we see you with a couple of hundred posts on BYU men's volleyball or women's cross country?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I personally don't care whether we have a bunch of RMs or not on the team, but having a couple of classes in a row with few or no missionaries could end up being a big problem from the basketball side. Traditionally, most BBall players at BYU are LDS, and a large amount of those serve missions. If from 2006 - 2008 we recruit a bunch of guys who don't serve, and then in 2009 and 2010 we revert to form and get a bunch of guys who do, your team in 2011 - 2013 is going to have big problems, as the non-RMs graduate, and the newer guys are out on missions. That's how you get 1-25 seasons.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Whatever would make you think it was a threat for Plaisted to not stay until his senior season?

Plaisted is possibly the most overrated player in the MWC. His right hand is completely useless. Having a good scouting report should shut him down in the halfcourt offense, force him to go right and he is done. Plaisted has great athleticism, but his peanut brain has really held him back.

Cummard is BYU's best player and a possible MWC POY this year.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
mpfunk

I just wish that Utah could find a way to get one of those 3-6 month missions that Rose gets for all of his players. Utah really could have used Foster this season.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #15
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I personally don't care whether we have a bunch of RMs or not on the team, but having a couple of classes in a row with few or no missionaries could end up being a big problem from the basketball side. Traditionally, most BBall players at BYU are LDS, and a large amount of those serve missions. If from 2006 - 2008 we recruit a bunch of guys who don't serve, and then in 2009 and 2010 we revert to form and get a bunch of guys who do, your team in 2011 - 2013 is going to have big problems, as the non-RMs graduate, and the newer guys are out on missions. That's how you get 1-25 seasons.
Missionary services is FAR more damaging to basketball than the football program. I'd prefer BYU to recruit players that don't have any intention of serving, but are still willing to abide by the standards of the university.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #16
mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Missionary services is FAR more damaging to basketball than the football program. I'd prefer BYU to recruit players that don't have any intention of serving, but are still willing to abide by the standards of the university.
At least you will admit it, unlike a lot of BYU fans who say that they want everyone to serve a mission but than rejoice when Plaisted doesn't go on one.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
At least you will admit it, unlike a lot of BYU fans who say that they want everyone to serve a mission but than rejoice when Plaisted doesn't go on one.
I'm not for discouraging players that want to go, but I'm not against taking players that don't intend to go.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #18
Keyzer Soze

Keyzer Soze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I admit that I am selfish. My mission was a great experience for me, and for those athletes that choose to serve, I hope it is a great experience for them. However, as a fan, I would like to remind those BYU athletes who truly are the cream of the crop, a mission is not a saving ordinance!
Keyzer Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I agree with this. Now if the Church could devise a weight and speed mission for those that wish to serve at the BYU mission, I would be okay with that.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #20
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Whatever would make you think it was a threat for Plaisted to not stay until his senior season?

Plaisted is possibly the most overrated player in the MWC. His right hand is completely useless. Having a good scouting report should shut him down in the halfcourt offense, force him to go right and he is done. Plaisted has great athleticism, but his peanut brain has really held him back.

Cummard is BYU's best player and a possible MWC POY this year.
The three most important players for BYU are Cummard, Tavernari and whoever mans the point effectively. Plaisted is fourth in order of importance. I've heard from those who Trent, that although his basketball IQ is low, he is a decent guy, almost introspective and quiet. Some guys develop and some guys don't. Trent hasn't seemed to develop himself, but fortunately BYU may be coming into an era where he's a role player, not a star player.