cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #11
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Dennis Dodd brings up Crowton's role:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefoo...story/10422107
BTW, whose responsibility is it to call a timeout? Crowton's?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #12
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default That throw was poorly placed. It was neither high nor was it outside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It was a fun game to watch. QB had good protection, so no real risk of a sack.

What made that play was a DB who didn't turn around (Sound familiar?) Had the DB actually played as if the ball was going to his man, he would have knocked it away or even picked it off. However, he was just going through the motions here since why would the QB actually throw the ball that deep. He was tight on his man the entire way, and he blew it.

Crowton will continue to do this kind of craziness as he is continually being enabled in his behavior by getting hired by strong programs and pulling this stuff off in his rookie year with each program. The natives will get restless as LSU loses games they think they shouldn't and the Crowton Spiral will sink that ship as well.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I get a kick out of how Crowton gets protrayed as some sort of Puppet Master that imposes his mercurial whims upon the invertebrate head coaches that were foolish enough to hire him.

Miles let the playcall go through. Miles was the one not calling timeout. He could have (should have?) done things differently but didn't.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #14
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I didn't watch the LSU vs. Auburn game, but a coworker told me all about it.

Apparently LSU, instead of playing conservatively with 16 sec and one timeout, and in FG range--on 3rd down, drops back in the pocket, throws a TD strike leaving 1 sec on the clock.

Now here is the deal: if the QB was sacked they would have probably lost the game, because the FG kicker didn't have a lot of range.

So apparently LSU fans were completely flabbergasted at the call. That they didn't position themselves for the chip-shot FG.

I just smiled and said "He'd rather win by 9 than 2."

There is just no way you can put that on Crowton. He is the OC, and Miles seems to love the attention of being the gambler. The HC makes those decisions not the OC. If Miles is letting Crowton make those decisions for him, then he (Miles) is a stupid as he is arrogant.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
There is just no way you can put that on Crowton. He is the OC, and Miles seems to love the attention of being the gambler. The HC makes those decisions not the OC. If Miles is letting Crowton make those decisions for him, then he (Miles) is a stupid as he is arrogant.
Agreed. Anyone who watched the LSU/Florida game saw how many times Miles gambled in that game. He's a coach that really likes to roll the dice.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #16
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road
Default Remember Payne at BSU?

Crowton was probably thinking about the game against Boise State when Payne actually did miss the field goal. The play before Payne missed we ran it over to the center of the field. Didn't turn out so great.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying the BYU-BSU play calling or the LSU-Auburn play calling were wrong - I'm just pointing out that Crowton had seen the exact situation before, and it turned out to be an important situation.

Also, I agree with other sentiments that Miles is at least heavily involved in that decision at that point in the game.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #17
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default Exactly, that is why I stated that as long as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
his coaching behavio continues to be enable by those that hire him, he will continue to come up with this kind of craziness. Head coaches responsibility all the way here. I agree.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #18
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

I will say after watching the YouTube video posted here in the thread, it does not seem nearly as chaotic as it did live on Saturday night.

Also one thing that I whole heartedly disagree with the announcers on is there would have been at least one second left even had the ball been dropped. So they would have gotten a chance at the FG.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:04 AM   #19
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In a way I miss that aspect of Crowton. Balls to the wall every play. However I think the problem was that Crowton led the charge only to glance back and find that no one else had followed him.
A quote about Crowton that I can agree with. Love him or hate him, I think about everybody can agree with this statement.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #20
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Agreed. Anyone who watched the LSU/Florida game saw how many times Miles gambled in that game. He's a coach that really likes to roll the dice.
Yup. And while Crowton surely has influence in those situations as to what he would suggest, ultimately the decision lies in the HC's hands.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote