cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
DDD: what do you think of these facts?

Fact. BYU drain on LDS church tithing is somewhere in the $500M per year range.

Fact. Value of LDS church tithing subsidy of 85 football scholarships > $1M per year.
Assuming they are facts:

1. Wow!
2. BYU as a whole is not the AD department
3. $1M per year for scholarships is not that much compared to what some private donors have given in trust, not limited to your boy Ira Fulton.
4. I am in town all next week. Let's meet for lunch.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #22
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
One, I am not sure how you are defining the word "fact." While I dont necessarily disagree with your statement, I am in no position to assert it as fact. Have you seen the books?

Second, donations to BYU are separate from the AD. Why do you think the AD has set up programs like Coaches Circle? Because the AD needs to pay its own way...the Church is not footing that bill. it doesnt have to.

Once again I ask you, on what are you basing your claim? Or it is just your hunch?
I'm using the Dwight Schrute definition for fact. And I'm using logic and reason as my sources. Way better than the "inside sources" you hear about on internet message boards.

How much has Fulton given the BYU athletic department? Would have BYU received that money had it not been asked for/needed by AD? Same for other rich donors?

BYU AD receives no tithing money. Yes that's a fact. The accountants can prove it. But you're totally and completely wrong if you say BYU AD causes no effect on how tithing is allocated or how much tithing is available to the church for other purposes.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #23
jay santos

The church has an incentive to try to downplay this stuff.

Loyal LDS Cougar fans want to be company men and join with the LDS church with downplaying it.

I say, screw it, let's bring it out in the open and talk about it. There's nothing that pisses Ute fans off more.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #24
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I say, screw it, let's bring it out in the open and talk about it. There's nothing that pisses Ute fans off more.
you can say that again! :-D
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
The church has an incentive to try to downplay this stuff.

Loyal LDS Cougar fans want to be company men and join with the LDS church with downplaying it.

I personally have no issue with it. If spending more money were to field us a better team, then I say lets do it.

But I think it is dangerous when people spew hunches as fact. If you couch it in a "this is my guess," then no sweat.

Since I have no inside info on how the AD affects tithing, I refuse to opine on it (at least without saying that I have no real way of knowing). You still seem to take the stance that you have some way of knowing. More power to you.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #26
jay santos

Quote:
I personally have no issue with it. If spending more money were to field us a better team, then I say lets do it.

But I think it is dangerous when people spew hunches as fact. If you couch it in a "this is my guess," then no sweat.

Since I have no inside info on how the AD affects tithing, I refuse to opine on it (at least without saying that I have no real way of knowing). You still seem to take the stance that you have some way of knowing. More power to you.
I don't have any inside info, and if I did I wouldn't put any value to it. I don't trust inside info.

I'm pretty sure church pays upwards of $500M a year on BYU.

I'm pretty sure Fulton would have given all that money to other departments at BYU rather than the AD.

Ditto for other big donors of BYU AD, though I don't know any specifics.

Athletic department requires a lot of capital investment that comes outside of the income statement. This is mainly where the "accounting tricks" stuff comes from.

I haven't seen the BYU athletic department income statement, but I'd bet a steak dinner they don't value scholarships at the pre-subsidy value.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:53 AM   #27
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One, I am not sure how you are defining the word "fact." While I dont necessarily disagree with your statement, I am in no position to assert it as fact. Have you seen the books?

Second, donations to BYU are separate from the AD. Why do you think the AD has set up programs like Coaches Circle? Because the AD needs to pay its own way...the Church is not footing that bill. it doesnt have to.

Once again I ask you, on what are you basing your claim? Or it is just your hunch?
One thing I know: If you want to give a large in-kind donation to the Cougar Club (bequeath them some stocks or bonds, say), the Cougarclub website takes you to the LDS Philanthropies page. Donations to the AD and donations to the Church in general are handled by the same arm/branch/department of the Church.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 AM   #28
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What blew me away to hear about the MWC TV contract is how the top schools of the WAC: Hawaii, Boise, and Fresno are all making MORE off their TV deal than BYU.

The key is the LOCAL TV package. WAC contracts with ESPN but gives each school the right to create their own local TV package. Per Karl Benson, this is more than a million bucks per year or close to it for Hawaii, Boise, Fresno, and Nevada.

Boise/Hawaii: little less than $1M ESPN Wac share + more than $1M local package

BYU: little more than $1M shitty CSTV deal + 0 local package

BYU went into this negotiation with crap representing their interest. Up to that point, they always had a $1M local deal with KSL/SportsWest. MWC struck a deal that was terrible for BYU but good for its bad schools with no local market.

My mind is completely boggled over this.
I bet KSL hardly paid squat for BYU games. They probably just assumed it was their right to carry BYU games and then not to carry them as soon as NBC made a stink over it.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #29
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I bet KSL hardly paid squat for BYU games. They probably just assumed it was their right to carry BYU games and then not to carry them as soon as NBC made a stink over it.
I know this is incorrect. In the 90's, there was a major push to increase revenues and make the program profitable. The contract was with SportsWest and they contracted with local affiliates including KSL.

Are you saying that BYU under the WAC contract would receive less revenue than BYU under the MWC contract? I know you're a logical guy and you may not think the TV contract is a big problem, but the numbers are pretty obvious.