cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
That depends. If somebody wants to bitch that BYU didn't play anybody in 1984 then they have to argue that it's the end of season rankings that count. But in a year like this one when Utah has beaten some ranked teams who no longer are, then it's all about where they were ranked when you played them. For the record I tend to agree with the latter argument.
Ute4ever's post can be read two ways, in my view.

One, that Utah has beaten several ranked teams, unlike BYU, suggesting some form of supremacy.

Two, and what I think he is getting at, that Utah has beaten every ranked team it has faced this year, spelling doom for newly ranked BYU.

My point in both cases is that ranking toward the end of the season matters more. UCLA and Louiville, while ranked at the time, only have 5 wins each, suggesting they didn't merit their ranking. TCU just got its 6th win this past week.

BYU has improved over the course of the season, gaining a ranking this week. It's doubtfull the Cougars will be paper tiger those teams presented.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
That depends. If somebody wants to bitch that BYU didn't play anybody in 1984 then they have to argue that it's the end of season rankings that count. But in a year like this one when Utah has beaten some ranked teams who no longer are, then it's all about where they were ranked when you played them. For the record I tend to agree with the latter argument.
I agree. Case-in-point: UCLA was not the 12th best team in the nation.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Ute4ever's post can be read two ways, in my view.

One, that Utah has beaten several ranked teams, unlike BYU, suggesting some form of supremacy.

Two, and what I think he is getting at, that Utah has beaten every ranked team it has faced this year, spelling doom for newly ranked BYU.

My point in both cases is that ranking toward the end of the season matters more. UCLA and Louiville, while ranked at the time, only have 5 wins each, suggesting they didn't merit their ranking. TCU just got its 6th win this past week.

BYU has improved over the course of the season, gaining a ranking this week. It's doubtfull the Cougars will be paper tiger those teams presented.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

The University of Utah are GIANT KILLERS, just ask Brother "All Glory is Fleeting" Archaea. Even if BYU does win, Archaea will have to start worrying about next year when JazzyUte's blog gives a comprehensive breakdown of why Utah is the top program in the MWC despite it's 3rd straight year of 3 conference losses or more...GIANT KILLERS I TELL YA!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
The University of Utah are GIANT KILLERS, just ask Brother "All Glory is Fleeting" Archaea. Even if BYU does win, Archaea will have to start worrying about next year when JazzyUte's blog gives a comprehensive breakdown of why Utah is the top program in the MWC despite it's 3rd straight year of 3 conference losses or more...GIANT KILLERS I TELL YA!
I think I'm starting to understand Arch's "woe is me" approach to life, and it has nothing to do with athletics.

Tonight I think I'll venture over to UteFans for some perspective.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

As Brian alluded to, when BYU beats themselves this Saturday, they will finally have a win over a ranked team.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote