cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having trouble with his voice. I haven't finished the Road, which I generally like, but find his writing difficult to hold on to.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm having trouble with his voice. I haven't finished the Road, which I generally like, but find his writing difficult to hold on to.
You've got to picture the writer in your mind's eye. Some ancient bard dressed in rags or a cowl bent over a parchment by the light of a sputtering taper scratching out an epic, and outside all desolation. Does the Bible use quotation marks? Not that I recall in the King James Bible. McCarthy's seminal influences are the King James Bible, Moby Dick, and Faulkner. I think Blood Meridian is also influenced by The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, though I've never read anyone else express that view. Tolkein and McCarthy aren't as far apart as you might think.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Watching the film Downfall (which is very close to historical accounts) I noted Hitler say such things as, "Pity is for losers; charity, pity are decadant concepts introduced by Christianity; humans are apes, and need to behave like the apes only more so." (I'm paraphrasing.) McCarthy's works explore this dark perspective or dimension of human nature that Hitler believed was its real substance. Blood Meridian is his classic exploration of this. In this sense, Joseph Conrad is also an influence on McCarthy.

There is also common ground with Homer, Dante, Tolkein, and Beowulf.

There is also a lot of gnosticism in Blood Meridian as the Judge ruminates on good and evil and God's place in the cosmos.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-03-2007 at 05:21 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote