cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Scheme?

OSU had 2 new QB's and couldn't figure out what to do with them. Utah knew Oregon State was going to run the ball and couldn't stop them.

AFA only attempted 14 passes in their game against Utah compared to 63 rushes...Utah knew AFA was going to run a lot and couldn't stop them.

UNLV ran the ball at will on Utah with Frank Summers. It became apparent that Utah's scheme couldn't stop that. Are you honestly gonna tell me that Utah was scheming to stop UNLV's deadly passing attack?

Utah knew that BYU was gonna run Unga frequently....and they couldn't stop him.

Even Gartrell Johnson of CSU had a good game against Utah.

Bottom line...when a team decides to line up and smack Utah in the face and challenge their rushing D,,,,they will win the majority of the time because Utah's rushing defense is weak.

The reason why I'm giving Utah a 2 TD advantage over Navy is because KWhit does a good job of preppring his team for bowl games. If Navy rushes for 300+ yards on Utah are you still going to say it was because of scheme?
By the way the Utes are ranked 38th in the country at rush defense. I would say that doesn't really make the team terrible, it would make the team mediocre.

Wouldn't terrible put the Utes at least in the bottom half in the nation?
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
By the way the Utes are ranked 38th in the country at rush defense. I would say that doesn't really make the team terrible, it would make the team mediocre.

I really wish the Utes could have redemption of playing UNLV in the Vegas Bowl. That would be a fun bowl, but alas that is not to be.

I would not say that Utah has a terrible run defense, mediocre perhaps but I would say SDSU had a terrible run defense. Utah not defending the run is also somewhat of a mystery to me, as it's usually been good at defending the run.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

So what if Utah's rush D is 38?

BYU's pass defense is ranked 40th in the country. BYU's Pass D is overated...and I'm surprised more teams didn't try exposing it. Does anyone really believe our pass D is in the Top 1/3rd of teams in the nation? Most rational observers would not.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/...erence=I-A_all

UNLV has the 24Th ranked Pass D. Do you REALLY believe they're that good?

Utah's rush D sucks.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
mpfunk

Quote:
So what if Utah's rush D is 38?

BYU's pass defense is ranked 40th in the country. BYU's Pass D is overated...and I'm surprised more teams didn't try exposing it. Does anyone really believe our pass D is in the Top 1/3rd of teams in the nation? Most rational observers would not.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/...erence=I-A_all

UNLV has the 24Th ranked Pass D. Do you REALLY believe they're that good?

Utah's rush D sucks.
Results certainly don't back up your point that Utah's rush defense sucks. Three of the games you indicated were early in the season. Two of those three games were while Gabe Long was hurt and not playing. In the BYU game, Long played but with a separated shoulder that may keep him out for the bowl game. The LBs have been completely revamped. This is not the same defense that you saw early in the year.

You pointed to the CSU game, the Utes held CSU over 30 yards below their average rushing on the season.

Also, the Utes have only allowed 12 rushing TDs this year. That is not the mark of a team that sucks at rush defense.

Mediocre yes, but the rush defense doesn't suck.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Results certainly don't back up your point that Utah's rush defense sucks. Three of the games you indicated were early in the season. Two of those three games were while Gabe Long was hurt and not playing. In the BYU game, Long played but with a separated shoulder that may keep him out for the bowl game. The LBs have been completely revamped. This is not the same defense that you saw early in the year.

You pointed to the CSU game, the Utes held CSU over 30 yards below their average rushing on the season.

Also, the Utes have only allowed 12 rushing TDs this year. That is not the mark of a team that sucks at rush defense.

Mediocre yes, but the rush defense doesn't suck.
So if Navy rushes for 250-300+ yards will you admit Utah's rushing defense sucks?

Or will you say..."Well they held them below their season average" argument as justification for holding true to your wrong opinion?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #16
mpfunk

Quote:
So if Navy rushes for 250-300+ yards will you admit Utah's rushing defense sucks?

Or will you say..."Well they held them below their season average" argument as justification for holding true to your wrong opinion?
Navy is probably going to rush for around 200-250 yards. I would say that if you are holding a team under their season average in rushing, that you actually don't have a terrible rush defense.

See the problem is that you actually think I'm arguing that Utah's rush defense is good. I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing that a rush defense that is in the top half of the nation and gives up only 1 rushing TD per game on average, is not a terrible rush defense. The fact that you are even arguing against this proves you are a dumbass.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Navy is probably going to rush for around 200-250 yards. I would say that if you are holding a team under their season average in rushing, that you actually don't have a terrible rush defense.

See the problem is that you actually think I'm arguing that Utah's rush defense is good. I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing that a rush defense that is in the top half of the nation and gives up only 1 rushing TD per game on average, is not a terrible rush defense. The fact that you are even arguing against this proves you are a dumbass.
Perhaps the better statement would be, for a good team and for its history, Utah has a bad rush defense. If we consider all good and bad teams, Utah's rush defense is better than some. Perhaps that's what we're arguing about.

The weakness of BYU's team defense is pass defense, for a good team.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

Quote:

Actually I know what you're arguing. You've been arguing all along that Utah's Rush D is medicore and I disagree. I thnk they are terrible.

So let's see if I get this quote accurately "I would say that if you are holding a team under their season average in rushing, that you actually don't have a terrible rush defense." ---- I just want to make sure that's your exact quote...because that will be used in the future to mock like you've so richly earned to be.

So you're telling me if Utah holds Navy to 250 yards (under their average)rushing that means you're rushing defense isn't terrible? I think ANY team regardless of their average offense rushing output is allowed to run for that many yards that tells me you're rushing defense is terrible. You are a pure bred shit for brains if you actually believe that hogwash. It's called denial of factual reality Funk.

If you guys hold Navy to under 200 yards then I'll agree your Rushing Defense is good to mediocre.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 12-03-2007 at 05:25 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #19
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Rocky Balboa: 3, Mpfunk: 0

Funk he is owning you right now.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #20
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Rocky Balboa: 3, Mpfunk: 0

Funk he is owning you right now.
I am just wondering when the sexual tension between these two is going to boil over.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote