cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2007, 04:07 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UCLA had better lines on both side of the ball

If they have an average QB, they kill us. Because our offensive and defensive calls are sometimes very questionable, that hurts as well.

Given how UCLA recruits, compared to how we recruit, this shouldn't be surprising.

I dont' care who coaches UCLA next year, it's not going to be an easy game. If the coach is Neuweasel, I really hope we put the wood to them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

A half-competent QB, and we lose by 20 tonight.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

As a casual fan of BYU football (rooting mostly for the kid from my home town) if UCLA had any kind of QB they would have handed BYU their heads on a platter.

The coaches for BYU gave that game away, worst offensive play calling I have seen. This comming from a Texas A&M fan who has been suffering for 5 years of pain watching Franchione ruin talent. First of all, they run a drop back hand off at the end of the half on their own 5?! Take a freaking knee and be done with the half, either that or throw it deep. 4th and 1 and you have a 350lb center, don't run the ball handing it off 5 yards back from the line when UCLA had been penetrating all night, sneak it!

UCLA deserved to win that game plain and simple. BYU got lucky in the end (or blessed) depending on how you look at it.
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Great in 2008

Great in 2008 is on a distinguished road
Question Worried about the cougars of the future

I hope the football team will be great in 2008, but the recruits don't seem to be flocking in despite all our success.
Great in 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu451 View Post
As a casual fan of BYU football (rooting mostly for the kid from my home town) if UCLA had any kind of QB they would have handed BYU their heads on a platter.

The coaches for BYU gave that game away, worst offensive play calling I have seen. This comming from a Texas A&M fan who has been suffering for 5 years of pain watching Franchione ruin talent. First of all, they run a drop back hand off at the end of the half on their own 5?! Take a freaking knee and be done with the half, either that or throw it deep. 4th and 1 and you have a 350lb center, don't run the ball handing it off 5 yards back from the line when UCLA had been penetrating all night, sneak it!

UCLA deserved to win that game plain and simple. BYU got lucky in the end (or blessed) depending on how you look at it.

Perhaps you can explain to me why UCLA deserved to win. Was it because it was supposed to be a 6pt win and was only 1. Should we have spotted them some points because they were playing a 4th string QB.

How does a team that scores less pts deserve to win. I don't get the concept.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Perhaps you can explain to me why UCLA deserved to win. Was it because it was supposed to be a 6pt win and was only 1. Should we have spotted them some points because they were playing a 4th string QB.

No kidding.

And I guess they deserved that gift at the end of the first half.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Ask Brady Poppinga. He'll explain it to you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Ask Brady Poppinga. He'll explain it to you.
I don't remember what he said. If you agree with him, tell me what he said, otherwise don't bother.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't remember what he said. If you agree with him, tell me what he said, otherwise don't bother.
I don't agree with Brady or with whomever says UCLA deserved to win. But Poppinga said after a loss to BSU in Boise (which came as a result of a missed FG) that in his mind, it was a win for BYU.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Agree completely. The Bruin defense in particular just played wonderfuly. It looked like the only part of Davis' jersey that our oline could see was the back part because that's what they saw the most as they watched him gallop towards Hall time after time.

I know that most of the Bruin injuries were on offense but I have to think that the 3 weeks since their last game allowed their defense to get all the way healthy and fresh. They were not playing that well late in the regular season.

Oh, and quick note to Anae - Where the heck was the screen pass? At least try it - it might slow the rush down a bit.