cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #71
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Catholics are not very aggressive in prosylitizing. We are in your face and genuinely threaten to take their members.
True, I think it is more a clash of the evangelicals. We have the true truth and they have the true truth. Battle to the finish.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #72
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Imagine if Bronco was released as head coach at BYU and called to Elder Ballard's position?

We'd rule the world! (And Utes would have a better chance too, which a good thing for this ALUF.)

The allmighty hand of Deity has Bronco in the right role at the right time at the right place. Doubt not because you don't understand, but the purposes of God will continue to roll forward.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #73
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
True, I think it is more a clash of the evangelicals. We have the true truth and they have the true truth. Battle to the finish.
I think there are many religions that claim a monopoly on truth. The zeal of the LDS ilk is what is upsetting to most. I really don't think folks are all that offended by what mormons believe, but it really annoys that mormons knock on doors and actively recruit.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #74
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The allmighty hand of Deity has Bronco in the right role at the right time at the right place. Doubt not because you don't understand, but the purposes of God will continue to roll forward.
So, the purposes of God include two last gasp efforts to beat the rival and have a UCLA kicker attempt a FG with the trajectory and power of a cork gun?

You really do learn something new every day.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #75
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think there are many religions that claim a monopoly on truth. The zeal of the LDS ilk is what is upsetting to most. I really don't think folks are all that offended by what mormons believe, but it really annoys that mormons knock on doors and actively recruit.
that might be why folks hate scientologists too. Don't they actively recruit.

I don't hear JW's spoken of that highly either.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #76
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
that might be why folks hate scientologists too. Don't they actively recruit.

I don't hear JW's spoken of that highly either.
This is exactly why Fuller Brush salesmen are pretty much extinct.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #77
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why don't you think they have the dislike level for the Catholics they do for us. Surely the Catholics have as many differences. Heck, aren't evangelicals protestant. They protested and broke away from the Catholic church. Why not the hatred for them.
Don't speak too fast young man.

After my BiL and SiL had moved into a new neighborhood in Chattanooga they put up their Virgin Mary statue in the front yard. A couple of weeks later they came home from Mass, and pulled into the driveway. From across the street comes the father of their neighbor, smiling all the way. He hails my BiL, shakes his hand, points to the statue and declares that "because of that, you all are going to hell." He smiled the whole time.

The neighbors were also weary about a letting their kids play with my nieces.

Welcome to Huckabee's world.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #78
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I am a believer in original Mormonism. I am a Joseph Smith Mormon, not a Covey Mormon, not a Stephen Robinson Mormon, not a Deseret Book Mormon.

We are ballast on opposite ends of the ship. There is a place for everything you said. I personally feel the ship has tipped too far and is now plowing through the water, and I advocate more ballast on my end.
If you are a Joseph Smith Mormon then why don't you live in San Pete county with your polygamist wives? That was the pinnacle of Joseph Smith Mormonism. Your not living up to your priesthood Mike.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #79
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes. I am critical of them.

If you reject polygamy, then you have rejected D&C and Joseph Smith. It's too big a pillar to take down, and not have the entire structure come down.

Romney may have meant several things. My best guess is that he was giving a politically convenient answer that had no doctrinal implication whatsoever. Because I believe he is that kind of man.
What if he turned out to be a flip-flopper on Mormonism, too? He said it was the religion of "his father" which wasn't the strongest statement of faith, er, "testimony" in your lexicon.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #80
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Gee now we have the antis coming out in force, we have hyrum, taq man and where's aaron?

Can't wait for the baptist convention to drop by as well.