cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You are an idiot. I posted that I would be curious what an oddsmaker poll would show after the bowls.

BYU was a 6 point favorite against UCLA. A 6 point favorite is a fairly significant favorite. This tells me that the oddsmakers had badly misjudged the game.

I'm sure BYU would have dropped to lower than 10 in a final poll.
1 point instead of 6 points is not "badly misjudged". Give me a break.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
1 point instead of 6 points is not "badly misjudged". Give me a break.
You want to see "badly misjudged"?

Look at this list.

http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15509

Whose predicted MOV was closest to the actual margin? I'll give you a hint. It wasn't Goatnapper, Lebowski, or BYU71. Oh yeah, it was me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Congratulations. You can dispose of that rubber glove now.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #24
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
BYU was manhandled, and would have lost by 3 touchdowns with an average QB.

Even Indy acknowledges this.

Then Indy on this issue is as big an idiot as you are. I use the term idiot in an endearing way.

People who come up with their if's and then act like they can project what happens when they use the term if are performing menatal masturbation.

You don't know what would have happened if Ben had been healthy. The spread was 6pts when the oddsmakers thought Ben was the starter, it dropped even as they found out they were going with the third stringer.

The game was played, BYU won and BYU is now ranked #14. All the if's in the world won't change either of those things.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #25
BYU71

Quote:
You want to see "badly misjudged"?

Look at this list.

http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15509

Whose predicted MOV was closest to the actual margin? I'll give you a hint. It wasn't Goatnapper, Lebowski, or BYU71. Oh yeah, it was me.
Nice and congrats and so what. You still had BYU winning didn't you. Now if you had picked them to lose and they did, then you really would be big man on campus.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Then Indy on this issue is as big an idiot as you are. I use the term idiot in an endearing way.

People who come up with their if's and then act like they can project what happens when they use the term if are performing menatal masturbation.

You don't know what would have happened if Ben had been healthy. The spread was 6pts when the oddsmakers thought Ben was the starter, it dropped even as they found out they were going with the third stringer.

The game was played, BYU won and BYU is now ranked #14. All the if's in the world won't change either of those things.
Indy is often an idiot when it comes to things. This is accepted as universal truth now.

However, I have actually bought a small part of Indy's argument that Crowton had a uniquely bad set of things occur that screwed him. Whereas the opposite can be argued as having occurred to Bronco.

So while I still don't think Crowton was a good general, I have bought two-pence worth of Indy's arguments.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #27
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
You are an idiot. I posted that I would be curious what an oddsmaker poll would show after the bowls.

BYU was a 6 point favorite against UCLA. A 6 point favorite is a fairly significant favorite. This tells me that the oddsmakers had badly misjudged the game.

I'm sure BYU would have dropped to lower than 10 in a final poll.
No, you didn't post that you would be curious what a poll would say if they released one. You said, "will there be an oddsmaker poll released?" Obvious answer: no. They release the poll for gambling purposes.

Maybe you can go with the EWU avatar again. That worked out well for you too. You cheer against BYU at every opportunity, so much so that you apparently can't even realize when you are being blinded by your own prejudices.

Oddsmakers love BYU this year. They loved BYU last year. The pollsters clearly loved BYU by the end of the year. Get on board. It is better than cheering for EWU.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
No, you didn't post that you would be curious what a poll would say if they released one. You said, "will there be an oddsmaker poll released?" Obvious answer: no. They release the poll for gambling purposes.

Maybe you can go with the EWU avatar again. That worked out well for you too. You cheer against BYU at every opportunity, so much so that you apparently can't even realize when you are being blinded by your own prejudices.

Oddsmakers love BYU this year. They loved BYU last year. The pollsters clearly loved BYU by the end of the year. Get on board. It is better than cheering for EWU.
Where is that "poll" released other than the WashPost blog?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #29
Indy Coug

Quote:
Indy is often an idiot when it comes to things. This is accepted as universal truth now.

However, I have actually bought a small part of Indy's argument that Crowton had a uniquely bad set of things occur that screwed him. Whereas the opposite can be argued as having occurred to Bronco.

So while I still don't think Crowton was a good general, I have bought two-pence worth of Indy's arguments.
Bronco has firmly demonstrated that he can take a talented group of players, which he largely inherited, and get a consistently high level of productivity out of them.

Bronco has firmly demonstrated that he has a firm grasp on player relations, admin relations, alumni relations, all to an nth level higher than Crowton.

Bronco has firmly demonstrated that he can get a high level of production out of marginal players, like the 4 walk-ons that started in the secondary this year and yet produced a top 10 or 15 defense.

It tentatively appears that Bronco is adept at identifying quality D-1 talent that will fit in at BYU and still meet BYU's competitive needs. This, IMO, is the biggest remaining unknown about Bronco. However, 2008 and 2009 will largely answer those questions.

IMO, there isn't one other person out there that is as uniquely qualified to lead BYU's football program as Bronco is right now. I pray to all that is holy that when Bronco hangs up the clipboard or perchance ventures to greener pastures that someone else has been sufficiently prepared to fill that gigantic void.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #30
BYU71

Quote:

I was referring to the fact you and Indy would agree BYU would get manhandled.

I have always said Crowton had a set of bad circumstances. A lot of it was a result of him not knowing what he was getting into, Bronco did.

Crowton probably thought his most important interview was with the AD and school President. He didn't realize his ability to bear his testimony was the most important part of the interview. It went downhill from there.