cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
who is allowed to attend? I.e. can a non-member friend of an attending member show up and attend?
They are anonymous 12 step programs. Meeting times are published on the internet and anyone can show. All this is required is a desire to stop drinking.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
who is allowed to attend? I.e. can a non-member friend of an attending member show up and attend?
Yes, if they are referred through LDS clergy. I am aware of a few non-members that have attended locally (usually from part-member families). ALthough it is posible others could attend too. I am nto certain, to be honest.

I am no expert, apart from my visit with Arch and SU, which went well until SU went off on the hellenization of chrisitinaity and a real donnybrook broke out,
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for that information. I wasn't aware of it.

I wonder if the church sponsors any 12 step groups in Texas. I doubt it, but you never know.

If someone was LDS living in Provo, and looked up AA meetings just as I did, on the internet, they would never find out about any AA meetings in LDS buildings.

of course, non-LDS are shut out entirely. I really don't see how that is useful. Another case of being willing to help our own, but not others.
Incorrect. You don't have to be LDS to participate in the Church's program. They allow all comers. At most of the meetings I've seen, the majority are not LDS.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
They are anonymous 12 step programs. Meeting times are published on the internet and anyone can show. All this is required is a desire to stop drinking.
Here they are for more problems than alcohol. We have all kinds of issues in CA.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Incorrect. You don't have to be LDS to participate in the Church's program. They allow all comers. At most of the meetings I've seen, the majority are not LDS.
What makes it "the Church's program"? In other words, is this run by the church, instead of run by the members? Is this a "version" of 12 steps that is Mormonized?

Or is it merely a 12 steps group that is generally geared towards the needs of Mormons?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
K-dog

I think Mike has some confusion if he believes the Church does not help non-members or communities generically. Take a look at the charitable contributions given to any non-profit that is humanitarian in nature and located in SLC. Their major donor list always includes the LDS Foundation, the Corporation of the Presiding Bishopric, and other LDS donation branches.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 01-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #17
K-dog

Quote:
What makes it "the Church's program"? In other words, is this run by the church, instead of run by the members? Is this a "version" of 12 steps that is Mormonized?

Or is it merely a 12 steps group that is generally geared towards the needs of Mormons?
It focuses on a specific relationship with diety instead of a general relationship with diety. Giving your troubles over to God is a key to AA but in the LDS program the step is focused on utilizing the atonement. If you are LDS you can see gospel principles used to enhance the AA 12 steps.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Mike, check this out.

http://www.providentliving.org/conte...3414-1,00.html
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Thanks. That's a resource that I may actually use to help someone at some point.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

There are folks here in Utah who are called to a service mission that does nothing but help alcohol and drug addicts to follow a recovery program.

There was a gentleman who spoke in our ward a number of years ago who had gone through the program. joined the church and was serving a mission in that program. It was a very spiritual meeting.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote