cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Republican debate last night

A few observations and impressions so far. I'm starting to get into this politics thing a little like I used to enjoy.

1. Huckabee seems to be learning on the job in a real bad way.
2. Romney didn't come across as much as an a-hole like he did the NH debate.
3. Romney lied about saving all the Detroit jobs and accusing McCain of being a pessimist by saying some couldn't be saved. It's a global economy, Romney, you know that. Not all those jobs are coming back.
4. McCain's a warmonger and has no chance in a national election when the nation is pissed off about still being in Iraq.
5. Huckabee sounds like a liberal talking about health care and the poor man's plight.
6. Guliani is a moron for saying he could increase tax revenues by lowering corp tax from 35% to 30%. It would stimulate economy but not increase tax revenues. Laffer curve is Reagan nonsense. Other than that, I like Guliani a lot.
8. Romney is a manager not a leader. I agree. But that's fine. Leader's inspire, but I don't look to the president for inspiration.
9. Ron Paul looks and sound kooky and his supporters are kooks. But he actually is the most correct when he talks economics. Everyone took turns bashing him, and they'll score points for it, but it was largely unfair.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I loved Ron's response to the questioner who said he wasn't a real Republican and was unelectable.

That was the most memorable response in the entire debate.

Too bad Ron Paul is so terrible in his public-speaking ability.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

After last night's debate, I think I'm losing faith in Romney's chances. I keep waiting for him to have that Presidential moment where he demonstrates he has "it" but last night's performance was just average.

Huckabee withered, thank goodness. And McCain came off good in some moments, and like a prick in others. Thompson finally looked like he had some life.

I can live with Guiliani, Romney, or Thompson. If there is a God left in heaven (or a conservative SOUL left in the R party), McCain and Huckabee will implode.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 01-11-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
After last night's debate, I think I'm losing faith in Romney's chances. I keep waiting for him to have that Presidential moment where he demonstrates he has "it" but last night's performance was just average.

Huckabee withered, thanks goodness. And McCain came off good in some moments, and like a prick in others. Thompson finally looked like he had some life.

I can live with Guiliani, Romney, or Thompson. If there is a God left in heaven (or a conservative SOUL left in the R party), McCain and Huckabee will implode.
I would have thought Romney would be more personable and a better speaker.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Amen brother, amen.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote