cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2008, 08:47 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Be that as it may, the guy in the interview knew what the counselor was looking for, and refused to say it ... IMO, more to make a point than because he really just couldn't bring himself to say "Yes."

Which is why I think both men are full of it. Someone needed to be the "bigger" person and just back down.
Shouldn't the leader be the one to show the example?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Shouldn't the leader be the one to show the example?
*Shrug* Sure. Doesn't mean the other guy wasn't also being a jerk.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #33
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Every question in the TR interview is a question that requires much thought and...
Sorry BFM, but "As best I can" seems to me like a perfectly good affirmative response. Anyone who would continue to grill an interviewee after a response like that is either vindictive or anal. Or both.

My guess is that bringing the Brooks book along to the interview set off some red flags. Which is a pity.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #34
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
There have been several examples, where you pulled it out of somewhere that you either jokingly or sarcastically alluded that my example pertained to myself. So to head you off at the pass of the proverbial predictable joke, I simply inserted a BTW.
There are examples of this, but I'm hard pressed to think of any where you pulled.."My friend blah blah blah" thing...and then I said..."Yeah this is really Arch..."

If you can find where I did this to you specifically and I don't remember it,,,then by all means show me.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #35
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Sorry BFM, but "As best I can" seems to me like a perfectly good affirmative response. Anyone who would continue to grill an interviewee after a response like that is either vindictive or anal. Or both.

My guess is that bringing the Brooks book along to the interview set off some red flags. Which is a pity.
While i agree with you,,,my guess is the person brought the Brooks book along knowing/hoping it would spark something....sometimes people are just hoping that something which could be construed as controversial in the eyes of some,,,will somehow have that brought to their attention.

A way to bring something up without bringing it up and hoping the other person just happens to notice it and then they do.

It's a very Fus-like way of trolling.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #36
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
*Shrug* Sure. Doesn't mean the other guy wasn't also being a jerk.
Well I wasn't there, and in hindsight he would have done it differently. However at the time he didn't believe he was being difficult.

I guess for fundies, they should have a sign across their shirts that say, "I am a fundamentalist, please just answer yes or no."

I'm waiting for the day when we can apply for a temple recommend online, with check the box answers and a red highlighter popping when the wrong answer is inserted. Then all these personal misunderstandings can be avoided.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #37
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
While i agree with you,,,my guess is the person brought the Brooks book along knowing/hoping it would spark something....sometimes people are just hoping that something which could be construed as controversial in the eyes of some,,,will somehow have that brought to their attention.

A way to bring something up without bringing it up and hoping the other person just happens to notice it and then they do.

It's a very Fus-like way of trolling.
The wait times for interviews can be extensive. If one happens to be reading that, I suppose one might only bring one's scriptures, but jeez are we getting really NAZI like if leaders worry about somebody reading Juanita Brooks' professional history on a sad chapter in our history.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #38
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Just curious, do you think "As best I can" or a similar answer is a perfectly good response only for the honesty question or does it go for the others as well (note I'm just paraphrasing the questions here)?

- Do you keep the word of wisdom? As best I can
- Do you obey the law of chastity? As best I can
- Do you pay a full tithe? I try to
- Do you affiliate with or support any apostate groups? I try not to
- Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel? I've tried to get one
- Do you sustain Gordon B. Hinckley as a prophet, seer, and revelator? As best I can
- Do you sustain your local leaders? I try to
- Do you have a testimony of God the eternal father, his son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost? I've tried to get one
- Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the temple? I think so

I've never heard of someone giving an "As best I can" type of response to any of the others. Why is "as best I can" considered by many people to be an acceptable response for the honesty question but it, or something similar to it, isn't considered acceptable for all the other questions?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #39
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well I wasn't there, and in hindsight he would have done it differently. However at the time he didn't believe he was being difficult.
He wasn't until he was. I agree that "as best I can" is a good enough response. A normal non-combative person put in that situation, seeing that it doesn't satisfy a "vindictive or anal" interviewer, would just say "yes" when asked again, and let it go.

All the Church problems that get complained about on CG, and the place this guy chooses to "make his stand" is on whether he can answer a question "as best I can"?? Really??

Seems petty on both sides, IMO. Kinda funny to see people lambast the counselor and not the other guy.

Quote:
The wait times for interviews can be extensive. If one happens to be reading that, I suppose one might only bring one's scriptures, but jeez are we getting really NAZI like if leaders worry about somebody reading Juanita Brooks' professional history on a sad chapter in our history.
Love the invocation of the Nazis, Arch. The reference serves you well.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #40
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Just curious, do you think "As best I can" or a similar answer is a perfectly good response only for the honesty question or does it go for the others as well (note I'm just paraphrasing the questions here)?

- Do you keep the word of wisdom? As best I can
- Do you obey the law of chastity? As best I can
- Do you pay a full tithe? I try to
- Do you affiliate with or support any apostate groups? I try not to
- Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel? I've tried to get one
- Do you sustain Gordon B. Hinckley as a prophet, seer, and revelator? As best I can
- Do you sustain your local leaders? I try to
- Do you have a testimony of God the eternal father, his son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost? I've tried to get one
- Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the temple? I think so

I've never heard of someone giving an "As best I can" type of response to any of the others. Why is "as best I can" considered by many people to be an acceptable response for the honesty question but it, or something similar to it, isn't considered acceptable for all the other questions?
Well they may all be appropriate answers though.

For example, if we are to keep our thoughts pure, and if only always having pure thoughts were the litmus test of chastity, then perhaps you'd have to answer no.

I suppose if one lives in a binary world, yes - no answers are what are to be expected.