cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Come on. You know better than that. Romney doesn't have a serious chance. DJ Ross talking brokered convention is a sure sign he's done.
Sorry, did you say something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Well, the important thing is that I got to read the latest Hugh Hewitt article on the guard. I didn't even have to go to his website:

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/blog/...6-46775fc121ec

you can't beat that for convenience. DJRoss did put the article in quotes, but I think in these cases attribution would be useful.
Jim Geraghty has a pretty interesting write-up on the possibilities as well.

http://campaignspot.nationalreview.c...M2NGUzZDY5OTI=

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Mitt is in my hood this afternoon in South County. I get to go meet him, sit at his feet, and listen to his strategy.

I am interested in how he is going to spin/put in perspective the future of his campaign in light of the latest developments in Florida.

Stay tuned.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Romney is going to kill McCain at convention. Kill him.
Dark and lonely on a Tuesday night
Kill John McCain
Kill John McCain
Huckabee barking
Do he bite?
Kill John McCain
Kill John McCain
Slip in his window
Break his neck
Cause my party
He will wreck
Got my reasons
What the heck
Kill John McCain
Kill John McCain
C-I-L-L
John McCain
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Romney is going to kill McCain at convention. Kill him.
IN about 3 seconds flat, cowboy.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Dark and lonely on a Tuesday night
Kill John McCain
Kill John McCain
Huckabee barking
Do he bite?
Kill John McCain
Kill John McCain
Slip in his window
Break his neck
Cause my party
He will wreck
Got my reasons
What the heck
Kill John McCain
Kill John McCain
C-I-L-L
John McCain
Tyronne Green lives!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #16
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Mitt is in my hood this afternoon in South County. I get to go meet him, sit at his feet, and listen to his strategy.

I am interested in how he is going to spin/put in perspective the future of his campaign in light of the latest developments in Florida.

Stay tuned.
i am still tuned. how was it?
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:31 AM   #17
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
i am still tuned. how was it?
I was able to meet and experience Mittology 101 today in South County. Mitt hosted a late luncheon in Irvine, followed by a smaller reception offsite at a relative's home.

I was interested to observe what the tenor would be given the recent results in Florida and McCain's increasing mo'.

The mood amongst the luncheon attendees was mixed, but overall quite upbeat. There were a small group of local OC Mormon mafiosi...volunteers wearing their HBS "mark of Cain" get-ups (blue blazer, blue oxford shirt, ugly striped tie, horrible shoes with tassles, all of which were purchased at Brooks Brothers) walking around greeting people, handing out Mitt buttons, shaking hands, and otherwise doing their best to somehow, some way get invited to work for Mitt or get a letter of recommendation to HBS or an I-bank.

Many familiar faces for OC LDS--a lot of the same folks that are CC Legacies, as well as lots of local business power brokers. I recognized some business faces because they are also clients at work. Very social vibe, hob nobbing, but you could tell by speaking to people that many were/are consigned to defeat.

It is hard to describe, but it is almost like being at a happy funeral, where, instead of crying, it is a lot of people standing around sharing their funniest and craziest moments and everyone is having a nice time, but behind it all, there is still a sadness.

At our table, this one guy had every statistic and poll in the book that proved why Mitt was not only still ahead, but actually the front runner. He spoke at length about how Florida and California do not matter, and how Mitt's wins in Wyoming and Nevada show that the "pulse of the country" (a phrase he kept repeating) was clearly in support of Mitt. Not sure if any of you have gone to a celeb impersonator show in Vegas or elsewhere, but if you have, do you know how after about an hour or so into the show, you kind of get caught up in the excitement of actually watching the Beatles, or Elvis, or Marilyn? You forget that the person is just pretending? Well today this guy got me all excited because after about 10 minutes of his yodeling, I swear I was sitting across from DJRoss. It was total suspension of disbelief. I knew it was impossible for it to be the real DJRoss, but I didn't care.

Food was average, nothing to write home about.

Mitt spoke for a decent amount of time. I was very impressed. He has a pretty commanding presence about him and is an excellent public speaker. He is quite polished. He looks good. His wife is kind of hot, actually, and dresses really well....a nice refreshing change from the Hillary Lesbian get-ups you see all the time on female politicos.

Overall, Mitt spoke of hope, the future, and vowed to keep fighting. Most of his speech was basically cut and paste. For pretty much everyone on this site, the speech would have appeared largely familiar (because pretty much everyone here to a person actively follows the election, the candidates, the debates, etc). He did hint at dropping out, but not directly. He started talking about carrying on "in the future," as in beyond this election. He also referenced a "challenging road ahead." He has a pretty good sense of humor and kept everyone engaged.

He received lots of applause and greeted several people before being whisked out the side. I left with a firm belief that, despite Mitt's missteps in his campaign, he is clearly the most qualified candidate for the Republicans. When he wants to be, or tries to be, he is dynamic. Instead of plastic veneer, you actually see a larger than life genius who has accomplished more than most men could ever dream. The sad thing is that it truly looks like the end of the road for him now, at least for 2008.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 02-01-2008, 03:46 AM   #18
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet that luncheon wasn't cheap.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:02 AM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I bet that luncheon wasn't cheap.
It was $1000 per person if you wanted to take a picture.

It was $600 per person (I think) if you just wanted to attend.

It was free if you have a hook up.

I went with Option C.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 AM   #20
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the readout 3D.

I'm sad there wasn't a John McCain pinata for the children.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote