cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall View Post
I'm sorry but I disagree. The defense did the lions share of the work and Eli got the trophy. Eli did well but that d-line was the reason for the win as it made the 17 points that Eli and the offense put up sufficient for the victory. Holding the all-time season scoring record holder to 14 points is a major accomplishment to the point of absurdity.

And I did cite a precedent although I'm sure the guys doing the choosing didn't know or didn't care.
It's interesting how these games all play out. Had Eli not made that throw and ended up losing the game, then we'd see all these things about how he was a choker and how he wasn't as good as Peyton and how he'll never win a SuperBowl. Yet Tyree holds on to that pass, Manning drives the team down the field and his career has changed forever.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
The Redskins problem is that they're always restructuring their cap because they spend spend spend to get players and as a result trade draft picks and tear up old contracts. Which is what I suspect they'll do this off season when they trade for Chad Johnson.
I hope they make that trade. Chad and the Bengals can no longer co-exist.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
It's interesting how these games all play out. Had Eli not made that throw and ended up losing the game, then we'd see all these things about how he was a choker and how he wasn't as good as Peyton and how he'll never win a SuperBowl. Yet Tyree holds on to that pass, Manning drives the team down the field and his career has changed forever.
I am very surprised I haven't heard more about tyree's catch. That was one of the single greatest catches in Super Bowl history. Unreal he held on to that ball.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not agree with the implications that Eli was named the MVP simply because of his name. In Super Bowl 32, all eyes were on John Elway, and he had great plays such as leaping over the Green Bay defense for the first down, and leading his team to 31 points.

But despite it being Elway's long-awaited coronation, the MVP went to Terrell Davis.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am very surprised I haven't heard more about tyree's catch. That was one of the single greatest catches in Super Bowl history. Unreal he held on to that ball.
Is that the catch that Sports Center just nominated as the all time best play in the Super Bowl?

I would have voted for Lynn Swan's catch against Dallas, but recent events almost always trump distant past events.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I would have voted for Lynn Swan's catch against Dallas, but recent events almost always trump distant past events.
I might agree were it not for a few other points:

1) The way Eli managed to get out of the sack before the throw/catch even happened was pretty spectacular.

2) Not able to remember the context of the Swann catch, I don't believe it was on a game-winning drive to upset a team that was 18-0.

3) Swann's play was more of a graceful, aeroobatic display of athleticism. Tyree's catch was more of a Holy Shit did he REALLY hold onto that?

Just my perspective on it.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote