cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

how much work does it take to get to the point where you aren't a complete embarrassment.

I played twice when I was a teenager, no instructions, no nothing, and I was an embarrassment.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
how much work does it take to get to the point where you aren't a complete embarrassment.

I played twice when I was a teenager, no instructions, no nothing, and I was an embarrassment.
if you have decent coordination you could get past embarrassment with 2-3 lessons, several hours at the range, and 3-4 rounds.

You still won't be great but you should be somewhere between bogie and double bogie golf. If you are a spaz, not much will help you.

Last edited by Flystripper; 02-05-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I like Golf, but my answer would be no. I live in a cheap area, but there are few places where I can go for less than $40 or $50. It's a tough sport to play if you have a family, as 18 holes are going to take at least 4.5 or 5 hours door to door, probably more. Also, if you are normal, you will continue to suck unless you play at least 20 times a year.

I like it a lot, but I get out an average of once a year.

I will mention though that I got a hole in one a couple of years ago.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #14
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're athletic or played any ball-and-stick sports, you'll pick it up faster than most.

Like others have said, hit a few buckets and maybe take a lesson. I would do this a few times, before heading out – even for nine. A little practice makes a world of difference.

Is it worth it? I don't know. For me, golf's payoff is the time I get to spend with family or friends while sneaking off at the crack of dawn (when the family still sleeping) to get in a round.

In the past, it meant more to me – leagues, handicaps, sometimes a tourney, etc. Not now. Now, it's just about getting out. I enjoy it more. Plus, I no longer think about snapping a putter over my knee when missing a three-footer.

It is a game (I don't really think it's a sport) you can play for the rest of your life. It becomes addicting the first couple of times you hit a pure five iron, exactly where you're aiming, and watch it sail 170 yards – coming to rest in the middle of a green. But it's mostly about cursing under your breath after skulling or chunking a shot.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #15
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I use to be a 4 handicap and really enjoyed the game. My emphasis as turned to cycling and I now struggle to break 80 and it's not as fun. If you like a challenge take it up. The plus side is my oldest loves to golf and one of my great joys is playing nine holes when it is just the two of us.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:21 AM   #16
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I use to be a 4 handicap and really enjoyed the game. My emphasis as turned to cycling and I now struggle to break 80 and it's not as fun. If you like a challenge take it up. The plus side is my oldest loves to golf and one of my great joys is playing nine holes when it is just the two of us.
You need a lot of game to get to a 4. The difference between a 9 (my lowest) and a 4 is cavernous. That's great you get out with your kids. My daughter went to her first camp last summer. I don't push her, but I hope she likes it enough for us to play a few rounds now and again when she's older.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:01 AM   #17
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
You need a lot of game to get to a 4. The difference between a 9 (my lowest) and a 4 is cavernous. That's great you get out with your kids. My daughter went to her first camp last summer. I don't push her, but I hope she likes it enough for us to play a few rounds now and again when she's older.
I developed the chipping yipes so bad the local pro started calling me 3 iron wedge. After that I just started playing less and less and my game really suffered.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #18
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

I have not golfed for years. When I did go though, the best thing about it to me was spending a few hours chatting with buddies, and being outdoors, especially if it's a course in a scenic area.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote