cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Richardson would be a good pick. He's a Latino that looks white, running with Obama who's black but isn't too black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
There is no way Obama will pick Richardson. Richardson is way too gaffe prone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Wow. Gotta think that Huckabee would look good in comparison. The guy reminds me of the absent-minded professor.
Exactly! So there's a built-in guarantee that we won't be getting another Darth Cheney. Plus, he helps Barack with the Hispanic vote, and shores up his foreign policy credentials. It's foolproof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't think so. He would have been a good choice, but for the fact that he was so disappointing in the campaign this year.

I really think Obama will pick a Virginian. One of Tim Kaine, Mark Warner (my favorite of the bunch) or Jim Webb (who brings national security credentials to counter McCain's strength in that area).
I hear Webb mentioned frequently. Richardson seems like a likely candidate, as well.

Edwards is out because apparently he's hoping for the AG nod, so if Obama wants to go the Southern white boy route, he'll have to go with a relative unknown. We've got a popular governor here that personifies the conservative southern good ol' boy. Maybe Obama will pick up Henry to help swing that critical battleground state of Oklahoma.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Exactly! So there's a built-in guarantee that we won't be getting another Darth Cheney. Plus, he helps Barack with the Hispanic vote, and shores up his foreign policy credentials. It's foolproof!

I hear Webb mentioned frequently. Richardson seems like a likely candidate, as well.

Edwards is out because apparently he's hoping for the AG nod, so if Obama wants to go the Southern white boy route, he'll have to go with a relative unknown. We've got a popular governor here that personifies the conservative southern good ol' boy. Maybe Obama will pick up Henry to help swing that critical battleground state of Oklahoma.

I just don't know what Edwards would get you at this point. He didn't help Kerry in the south, and he didn't perform all that well on his own in the south during this election cycle in the primaries. He doesn't have a ton of experience, no national security credentials, etc. He doesn't help Obama in the areas where Obama needs help.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I just don't know what Edwards would get you at this point. He didn't help Kerry in the south, and he didn't perform all that well on his own in the south during this election cycle in the primaries. He doesn't have a ton of experience, no national security credentials, etc. He doesn't help Obama in the areas where Obama needs help.
Well, that's why I think he should go with one of the candidates that will almost guarantee him one of the states most likely to turn blue...New Mexico, Virginia, Ohio.

I think Richardson is a great choice, bumbling gaffey incoherencies aside.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Let's be honest here. Does anyone really vote for the VP?

Outside of avoiding gaffes and presenting a complete "image" to the public, the VP on the ticket doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of presidential electioneering.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Let's be honest here. Does anyone really vote for the VP?

Outside of avoiding gaffes and presenting a complete "image" to the public, the VP on the ticket doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of presidential electioneering.
I keep hearing this but I don't agree. I think a strategic pick can help. Not everyone votes for VP, but some do. Richardson could bring Hispanic voters to the Obama side, playing a crucial role in certain states (NM, NV, CO). Huckabee would certainly get Evangelicals motivated. A guy like Webb could bring VA to the Obama column.

It rarely affects national voting, but can affect strategic local results.

The problem is the negatives (you allude to this) a VP candidate might bring. I see Richardson as a huge gamble. He's too mistake-prone. How many voters will opt out of Obama thinking, "That was his choice for VP? Increase Obama's security detail immediately."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #16
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
The problem is the negatives (you allude to this) a VP candidate might bring. I see Richardson as a huge gamble. He's too mistake-prone. How many voters will opt out of Obama thinking, "That was his choice for VP? Increase Obama's security detail immediately."
Richardson will get an intensive crash course in Obama-speak. His speeches will be boiled down to parroting the "hope" and "change" and "lifting the less fortunate" mantras.

These Obama-ites have felt the burning in the chest and the tingling sensation which has converted them. Their conversion has blinded them to detail, they just want to be part of the euphoria which comes from inclusion.

When you think about it, it is not all that dissimilar to what 65,000 missionaries are attempting to accomplish.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote