cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road
Default Question regarding work visas

I'm going to Paris this summer to work for a law firm for school credit for a month. Because of the lack of clear information on both US and French consulate webpages, I'm uncertain whether this type of work requires a work visa?

I won't be receiving any form of compensation and I will be there for much less than 90 days required for Americans planning on staying to visit. I'll technically a "student," I guess, but I won't be there studying at a university.

Anyway, any advice on where to find clear answers about this? Or any personal knowledge?
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd check with the admin folks in your law school.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Check with your school, but we hosted interns all the time and they came on the 90-day visa waver program. You won't be paid, so no need for a work visa. You won't be actually going to school there, so a student visa probably won't apply.

In case you don't know, the 90-day visa waiver program allows you to enter France without a visa as long as you do not stay over 90 days (and don't work). Most first world countries are members of this "club."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Check with your school, but we hosted interns all the time and they came on the 90-day visa waver program. You won't be paid, so no need for a work visa. You won't be actually going to school there, so a student visa probably won't apply.

In case you don't know, the 90-day visa waiver program allows you to enter France without a visa as long as you do not stay over 90 days (and don't work). Most first world countries are members of this "club."
THANK YOU! This is by far the most helpful information I've found. I'll look into this. Any advice for finding a place to live and getting around Paris?
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
THANK YOU! This is by far the most helpful information I've found. I'll look into this. Any advice for finding a place to live and getting around Paris?
Places to stay can be difficult, but our interns found them. I think I recall there being some websites out there. Thankfully you're not the first student going to Paris, so there is a market out there. I would try first through the school and then the law firm you'll be interning with. If you really can't find anything, let me know and I'll ask our people where their interns are finding places to stay. Another thought, university dorms have no occupancy during the summer and can offer some good rates. Oh, now I recall one of our female interns staying at a convent for fairly cheap and it had wireless. There are a lot of options.

As for transportation, you'll want to get a metro pass (called Carte Orange) which will be good for a month and lets you take all metro and busses. It will be your best deal. It will probably run about $70-$75 due to the exchange rate.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote