cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #141
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Well, the deal is, we're all already paying an invisible tax of $1000 per family to cover the cost of writing off care for the uninsured.
Fair, but my question still stands. What is the approximate net increase (indexed) that everyone here is crowing about?

I wonder how some would have reacted had they been asked to drop their nets to be fishers of men. I wonder if a few would have said, "screw that. I would prefer to fish for my own family. Plus, if I keep giving people fish, they will never learn to fish for them selves......And another thing that has really been bothe...*lightening bolt*

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #142
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
And for those who think it's the poors fault:

Nearly 40 percent of the uninsured population reside in households that earn $50,000 or more (1). A growing number of middle-income families cannot afford health insurance payments even when coverage is offered by their employers.
JSYK, the NCHC is not necessarily an unbiased source. That number doesn't jive with the ones I found in the journal literature, though the general principle was borne out by the data.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #143
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Fair, but my question still stands. What is the approximate net increase (indexed) that everyone here is crowing about?

I wonder how some would have reacted had they been asked to drop their nets to be fishers of men.
Or God forbid we'd have been asked to pass the loaves and the fishes along down the line. There was hardly anything left, anyhow.

I can't find any hard numbers on what the tax increase would be like.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #144
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
JSYK, the NCHC is not necessarily an unbiased source. That number doesn't jive with the ones I found in the journal literature, though the general principle was borne out by the data.
I understand completely, my posts serve to underscore the original intent of this thread ... The US needs to adopt a universal health care system.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #145
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Or God forbid we'd have been asked to pass the loaves and the fishes along down the line. There was hardly anything left, anyhow.

I can't find any hard numbers on what the tax increase would be like.
Neither can I. If you do, please post them. This discussion would get really interesting if we can put a dollar amount to it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #146
tooblue

Quote:
I don't think anyone can site specific true numbers but one number that keeps being quoted by the American Associtation of Doctors (or what have you) is 1 in 7.
Sorry, it's the American Medical Association that quotes 1 in 7 Americans are uninsured.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/93443.php
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #147
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I wonder how some would have reacted had they been asked to drop their nets to be fishers of men. I wonder if a few would have said, "screw that. I would prefer to fish for my own family. Plus, if I keep giving people fish, they will never learn to fish for them selves......And another thing that has really been bothe...*lightening bolt*
dont you think there is a little difference in being asked by JC to follow him then being compelled to pay taxes?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #148
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Neither can I. If you do, please post them. This discussion would get really interesting if we can put a dollar amount to it.
It would require very sophisticated economic analysis with so many unverifiable variables, that the numbers wouldn't be reliable.

Go back and research what government predicted Social Security and Medicare would cost from 1964 to 1984. You'll find, IIRC, and I don't always, that the rosy prediction of the sixties was off about 10 to 20 fold or greater. Given that knowledge using that rubric may be a good benchmark. Multiply whatever the government predicts by ten or twenty times, and you'll have what it will actually cost.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #149
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I understand completely, my posts serve to underscore the original intent of this thread ... The US needs to adopt a universal health care system.
I'm glad the canadians can tell us what we NEED to do
Old 02-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #150
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
I'm glad the canadians can tell us what we NEED to do
That might be a great comment if I WERE A CANADIAN! But seeing as how I am born of the same loins as you, and red blooded through and through it lacks bite

By the way Lebowski, an American living in America started this thread and is telling you what to do ... along with an Oklahoman, Californian, Texan et al!

Last edited by tooblue; 02-25-2008 at 03:33 PM.