cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 PM   #21
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
A website that helps people understand where the federal budget gets allocated. This is his big idea? Wow I guess he really shot for the moon on that one. Of course Obama is eloquent, he is just remarkably non-specific. He has yet to articulate an idea other than withdraw from Iraq no matter what, which is just plain dumb. Even Hillary has a nuanced position on that.
Clearly, this is something that should have been commonplace a long time ago, but compared to the current "everything is a secret" administration it's a good step forward. I haven't heard a lot of specifics from any of the candidates, but their websites tend to have a decent amount of them. I'm not part of the excited Obama crowd, but I don't find any of the most popular criticisms valid.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #22
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Clearly, this is something that should have been commonplace a long time ago, but compared to the current "everything is a secret" administration it's a good step forward. I haven't heard a lot of specifics from any of the candidates, but their websites tend to have a decent amount of them. I'm not part of the excited Obama crowd, but I don't find any of the most popular criticisms valid.
The Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act (colloquially called a "Google Government") was signed by President Bush in 2006 - so your "everything is a secret" label is a bit odd.

The only thing Obama has done is pledged to sign an executive order directing federal entities to do a "timely implementation" of it. I give him credit for supporting the continued implementation of the FFATA (he was the only Dem. to sign the pledge put out by the libertarian Reason Foundation). don't give him credit for the idea, the content of the act itself, or the passing of the legislation. It's really stretching things to refer to the full implementation of the FFATA as "Obama's plan".
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:50 AM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Didn't know that he got fired. Good for BYU.
He didn't get fired. He decided to retire early. Rumor is that BYU bought him out to avoid continued embarrassment.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 AM   #24
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
The Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act (colloquially called a "Google Government") was signed by President Bush in 2006 - so your "everything is a secret" label is a bit odd.

The only thing Obama has done is pledged to sign an executive order directing federal entities to do a "timely implementation" of it. I give him credit for supporting the continued implementation of the FFATA (he was the only Dem. to sign the pledge put out by the libertarian Reason Foundation). don't give him credit for the idea, the content of the act itself, or the passing of the legislation. It's really stretching things to refer to the full implementation of the FFATA as "Obama's plan".
The bill you cited was sponsored by Obama. It is also known as the Coburn-Obama bill. Ironic you would point out the goodness of a law sponsored by Obama (attributing it to Bush) followed by a criticism that Obama hasn't done anything.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 AM   #25
Cali Coug

Quote:
Its not a critique. It is an explanation about why people are excited. It is excitement at a very superficial level. The grown ups interested in politics aren't "excited" because politics in general is a fairly sober topic.

I defy anyone to name me an exciting Obama position. "Yes we can" and "hope" don't count.
Health care reform, withdrawal from Iraq, college tuition credit for those who dedicate time to service, support for wireless internet in major cities (particularly inner cities). You know better than to buy into the media hyperbole about Obama.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #26
Cali Coug

Quote:
A website that helps people understand where the federal budget gets allocated. This is his big idea? Wow I guess he really shot for the moon on that one. Of course Obama is eloquent, he is just remarkably non-specific. He has yet to articulate an idea other than withdraw from Iraq no matter what, which is just plain dumb. Even Hillary has a nuanced position on that.
Come on, Utah Dan. You must know you are just repeating Clinton campaign lines now. Surely you are aware that he has articulated a position on many proposals (if you aren't aware, you can quickly find many of them itemized on his website).

He isn't "remarkably non-specific." He is at least as specific as every other candidate running. Quick- tell me what McCain is specific about other than staying in Iraq forever?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:40 AM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You know better than to buy into the media hyperbole about Obama.
Why not? A large bulk of his supporters do.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
He didn't get fired. He decided to retire early. Rumor is that BYU bought him out to avoid continued embarrassment.
Good for BYU for giving him a break.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #29
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The bill you cited was sponsored by Obama. It is also known as the Coburn-Obama bill. Ironic you would point out the goodness of a law sponsored by Obama (attributing it to Bush) followed by a criticism that Obama hasn't done anything.
I didn't attribute it to Bush - I said he signed it in 2006. You read what you wanted into that simple statement of fact.

The bill was introduced by Coburn, Obama, McCain, and Carper and was co-sponsored by 43 other Senators as I'm sure you know.

I still think it's disingenuous to call it "Obama's plan".
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:44 AM   #30
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

The legislation in question was authored and introduced by Coburn, Obama, Carper, and McCain.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote