cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #31
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What if he butchers it by skipping two lines, and thinks he got it right, but he didn't even mention the bread/water. In other words, the audience knows it has been butchered. Do you let it slide?
Hell yes.

And give him a trophy.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
And give him a trophy.
There are no losers, just people who fail to win.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #33
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

One of our best friends is a girl from Louisiana and she plural-izes it with y'alls.

And yes, I agree with the making him correct one time and then letting it slide. I was at the table and my buddy said it once, got the negative head shake, did it again and he thought it got it and he started to stand up only to see the negative head shake leading him to softly mutter (though picked up lightly by the microphone) 'you have got to be freakin' kidding me.'

Another time and probably my favorite was another buddy at the table, kneels down and starts giving the prayer. After a line or two, it was straying way off. Still using church words, but it was obviously all over the place. All of a sudden, I feel him tug at my leg, I look down and he has the mic, but no sheet with the words on it. He is doing this from memory and it was brutal. I bend down, grab my scripture, open them up and give them to him and he gives the prayer as he should. Still laugh about it because his memory was so bad on what the prayer should be, it was truly comical.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #34
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What if he butchers it by skipping two lines, and thinks he got it right, but he didn't even mention the bread/water. In other words, the audience knows it has been butchered. Do you let it slide?
No, I wouldn't let it slide. I think making a priest say the sacrament prayer four times for missed prepositions is bad; I also think overtly easing up on a priest is bad (singles him out for special treatment b/c he's less capable). I'd try to strike the balance with those two things in mind.

Skpping two lines in the sacramental prayer doesn't implicate those two principles.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #35
BEHIND ENEMY LINES

BEHIND ENEMY LINES is on a distinguished road

I attended a baptism where the little girl was terrified of water. Her father tried at least 10 times. We tried everything, kneeling down, standing up, sitting down. Finally her father suprised her after the 10th prayer and tried to dunk her without warning. She kicked and screamed and did not go under. The spirit was long gone and everyone wanted the meeting to be over. I suggested to the Bishop that we should call her baptized and he agreed. She was never submersed but we counted her baptized. I believe that the lord will sort that sort of thing out. If not... ...at least we have baptisms for the dead.
BEHIND ENEMY LINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The sacrament bandit struck again last Sunday. He got it right on the sixth try. I was sweating by the time he finally got it right.

I'm wondering if he has dyslexia.

I admire him for going up there and trying even after all the times he has had to repeat it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #37
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

We were reading Moroni as a family and we talked about the prayers. My daughters were under the impression that the YM memorized the prayers. I bet if the YW did the prayers, they would be memorized with very few faults. That's why men have the priesthood; we need it.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
We were reading Moroni as a family and we talked about the prayers. My daughters were under the impression that the YM memorized the prayers. I bet if the YW did the prayers, they would be memorized with very few faults. That's why men have the priesthood; we need it.
Why don't the YM memorize the prayers? Although some are poorly educated, how much trouble would it be to conduct memorization of the prayers within the classes? If I were in YM, that might be a several week exercise I would encourage.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #39
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why don't the YM memorize the prayers? Although some are poorly educated, how much trouble would it be to conduct memorization of the prayers within the classes? If I were in YM, that might be a several week exercise I would encourage.
Please don't try to turn out YM into YW.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The sacrament bandit has tried to memorize the prayer. I don't know if he is still trying to memorize it however.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote