cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Davidson reminds me of Miami (OH) '99.

As I was watching Curry unconsciously hit everything he put up against GTown, I couldn't help remembering watching Wally Szerbiak do the same thing to the Utes in the second round in 1999. A 10 seed beating a 2 seed in each case.

In the next round Miami (OH) met third seeded Kentucky and lost by 15. Davidson is facing third seeded Wisconsin. My prediction is Wisconsin will win comfortably.

Sometimes a guy just gets hot and you can't stop him. It may even last a few games, but my guess is that this will be the end of the road for Davidson. Would love to be wrong though.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
As I was watching Curry unconsciously hit everything he put up against GTown, I couldn't help remembering watching Wally Szerbiak do the same thing to the Utes in the second round in 1999. A 10 seed beating a 2 seed in each case.

In the next round Miami (OH) met third seeded Kentucky and lost by 15. Davidson is facing third seeded Wisconsin. My prediction is Wisconsin will win comfortably.

Sometimes a guy just gets hot and you can't stop him. It may even last a few games, but my guess is that this will be the end of the road for Davidson. Would love to be wrong though.
It may just be me, but this phenomenon seems to occur all too frequently with BYU in the tourney. How often has BYU faced a team with a player that was lights-out, faced a relatively recent NCAA champ, or faced a team that took a 1-seed to the wire in the following game?

No excuses - BYU needs to nad up & win a game, and I'd rather beat a good team in the tourney then get by with beating a team that didn't belong. Still, it's interesting when you consider the teams they've faced.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Not that this matters at all but Surprisingly enough, Wally did not have a great game against Utah. He had 24 points, but he got a lot of his points from the foul line and he finished 6-11 from the field. He hit a bunch of free throws, something like 8 of them in the final 5 minutes, and those free throws kept the Utes away. The Utes were killed by the supporting cast. And for whatever reason, the Utes, besides Miller, struggled offensively.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."

Last edited by UteStar; 03-24-2008 at 05:05 PM.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Wisconsin is not a good matchup for Davidson. They are too well coached and too good defensively. They also pound teams on the inside.

Who knows, Curry just might be that good and they keep dancing, but I'm not sure I can think of a worse matchup on paper than Wisconsin.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Not that this matters at all but Surprisingly enough, Wally did not have a great game against Utah. He had 24 points, but he got a lot of his points from the foul line and he finished 6-11 from the field. He hit a bunch of free throws, something like 8 of them in the final 5 minutes, and those free throws kept the Utes away. The Utes were killed by the supporting cast. And for whatever reason, the Utes, besides Miller, struggled offensively.
Miller lost his killer instinct after that ugly fall in the WAC tournament (against UTEP?). After that, he was all about protecting his body for the NBA; he lost his abandon and the Utes weren't the same. Before that, they may have become better than the prior year. They were slaughtering everybody and finished the entire WAC season and tournament undefeated (but had to beat Tulsa in overtime in the title game after Miller hurt his head).

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote