cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #51
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice work Triple Father. Very funny.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #52
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I love watching those tough gang members break into song and dance. The only thing that compares is the movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". One bad thing about "West Side Story" was having Natalie Wood play the Latino girl. They couldn't find some PR in New York that could play this part?
As a self-annointed WSS expert, let me answer this question for you (or, you can watch the special edition double DVD with commentary tracks turned on)....

Most of the main characters you see in the film were not the first choices.

The person who was the FIRST choice to play Tony....was Elvis. Yikes! How lame would that be to have a knife fight between Elvis and some wayward Puerto Ricans? Luckily, Elvis declined because he felt his movie career would progress further by filming such classics as "Clambake" and "Blue Hawaii."

Other choices for Tony included Warren Beatty and Anthony Perkins (good old Norman Bates, knife fighting under the highway wearing a dress and a wig).

Which brings us to Maria........Warren Beatty came in to read for the part of Tony. He happened to be laying down his own Wood with Natalie in real life at the time, so she went with him to read the Anita part for his audition, merely as a favor. The casting director felt that Warren was so vain, he thought the part of Tony was about him.....so they did not give him the role....they did think Natalie was hot, so they gave her the role.

Unfortunately, her Spanish and her singing was not hot, so all the singing parts are overdubbed. Only recently was the woman who did the actual singing given full credit. And for those who speak Spanish, you already know that he Spanish accent was basically worse than most white Mission Presidents in the field.

If you want to know more, please ask.

Also, can we get a West Side Story sticky, please?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #53
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Also, can we get a West Side Story sticky, please?
It's pretty clear that WSS already gets you sticky.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #54
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It's pretty clear that WSS already gets you sticky.
Hmmmmm, I can see that someone feels pretty and witty and gay.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #55
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

No talk of Paint Your Wagon, featuring a singing part for Clint Eastwood and a Mormon selling one of his wives?

Back to SofM, what is so wrong with blowing a whistle and having one's children line up like soldiers?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #56
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
what is so wrong with blowing a whistle and having one's children line up like soldiers?
Why am I not surprised? doghater!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #57
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Why am I not surprised? doghater!
Good point. Notice the Von Trapps never had a dog. It surely would have given them up in the graveyard.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #58
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Since Patton is in my top 10 alltime favorites list, I second this, but let's go after the Sound of Music tour so that we can return with honor and at least a little testosterone. I'd also like to stand on the hilltop where Scott/Patton looked down over a very long armored column that was advancing on a German position and said, "Compared with war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance,."
Good idea to do the Patton tour after the Sound of Music. Testosterone makes flights across the ocean much more fun.

As for the hilltop, that may be in Tunisia, but it's only a quick jump from Sicily to Africa, so I'm sure it's doable. I can also take everyone to the palazzo where Patton/Scott gave his apology for slapping the yellow bastard who wasn't really injured. That is in a really nice setting just outside Palermo.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #59
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Have a little dignity man. Begging for the role will earn you no favors. Post a Youtube video of you singing the part and we'll all judge whether you deserve it or not. Plain and simple.
Dignity? Me? I went to Marist, for crying out loud. Dignity doesn't exist.

Besides, I don't want that part. I want to be one of the nuns who remove the spark plug wires from the Nazis' car.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 PM   #60
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Besides, I don't want that part. I want to be one of the nuns who remove the spark plug wires from the Nazis' car.
The only part I would even consider accepting in SoM would be an unsuspecting Austrian peasant who gets shot by Nazis. That would put me out of my misery.

I can't believe more of you aren't annoyed by that movie. It makes me want to dry heave just thinking about it.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote