cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard it said by someone that I trust and respect, that the right to name oneself is a fundamental human right.

I would not deny these people the right to name themselves.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #12
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The FLDS church is no more Mormon than the Church of England is Catholic.

Your analogy of Christians not allowing Mormons to be called Christians vs. Mormons letting FLDS being called Mormons doesn't hold. The core identity of the Mormon church is its worship of Christ as their Savior and Redeemer. The core identity of the Mormon church isn't its "Mormonhood".
Isn't that self contradictory? There is nothing intrinsically "Mormon" about us, but clearly they aren't "Mormon?" Or is "Mormon" just a meaningless term?

Why aren't they Mormon, if that is what they want to be called? Isn't it simply a reference to their belief in the BOM?

Last edited by UtahDan; 04-22-2008 at 03:15 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I have heard it said by someone that I trust and respect, that the right to name oneself is a fundamental human right.

I would not deny these people the right to name themselves.
That was sort of what I meant when I said that calling myself skinny doesn't make it so. Obviously I don't think this is a very important issue for us LDS.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The FLDS church is no more Mormon than the Church of England is Catholic.

Your analogy of Christians not allowing Mormons to be called Christians vs. Mormons letting FLDS being called Mormons doesn't hold. The core identity of the Mormon church is its worship of Christ as their Savior and Redeemer. The core identity of the Mormon church isn't its "Mormonhood".
I think using the same logic you use, Christians would say Mormons are no more Christian than the Church of England is Catholic. It's just perspective.

You could easily imagine a world 500 years from now where there are dozens of LDS splinter groups, some quite significant in size. Would all these have a claim on the term Mormon?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think using the same logic you use, Christians would say Mormons are no more Christian than the Church of England is Catholic. It's just perspective.

You could easily imagine a world 500 years from now where there are dozens of LDS splinter groups, some quite significant in size. Would all these have a claim on the term Mormon?
When you say Christians don't want to call us Christian you are really only talking about a small but loudmouth group of Christians. Catholics and mainstream Protestants rarely beat the drum on this issue. At least that has been my experience. Furthermore, those same evangelicals don't think Catholics or liberal Protestants are Christians either. It's all about them creating their own definition of the term and excluding everyone else who doesn't fit. Then when it comes to Mormons they dishonestly take advantage of the fact that 90% of the population has a broader definition of the term, so that they can call us non-Christian knowing it conjures up images in the general public of us being something totally different like Buddhists.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-22-2008 at 03:47 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default I won't call anyone but devout LDS Christians...

I always refer to them by their proper religious affiliation. Coming from the South I have gotten into it on more than one occasion with overzealous types whose only desire was to castigate my beliefs.

These are not Christians. They have not embraced Jesus Christ. Why? Because they have no understanding of who He truly is. They worship a being who is not a being who is more than once person at once. The obfuscation of the Lord and Savior makes it impossible for them to truly be called Christians.

Yes they may exercise Christian behavior in attempting like all of us to live the commandments and follow Christ's example, however until they are baptized by one in authority and until they have recognized the resurrected Savior as the Son of God and not a amalgamation of the Trinity into one being, they cannot be considered Christian.

The funny thing is many of the witnessing types are so prepared for me to try and convince them that I am Christian like them and believe in the same Jesus they do that it stuns them when I respond clearly that they are correct. I do not believe in the same Jesus they believe in. When I challenge their right to call themselves Christian they spend more time rationalizing their own Christianity vs. criticizing mine. It is the way I would have it. Sure is more enjoyable watching them squirm vs. listening to their tired arguments.

oh yeah and I believe in the devil as well lol.

Click on image for my card and blog

Last edited by DJRoss; 04-22-2008 at 07:57 PM.
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I disagree with this analogy. Mormons have paid their dues in terms of longevity, size and discarding some if not all of their most repugnant beliefs. On the other hand, compared to Mormonism, Catholic or Protestant "Chistianty" has had far too much history and far too prominent a role in our culture to worry about what calling Mormons Christians might do to their self-image. Mormons probably have earned the right to be called Christians, but the other sects (the ones who care are primarily New World Protestants) don't want to call them that basically for spite. Calling FLDS LDS or Mormons on the other hand does a great deal of harm to mainstream Mormonism's image and goodwill. In short, FLDS is a cult, and Mormonism has probably grown out of cult status into at least arguable mainstream status.
Don't you recall your training you are supposed to finish such a profession of devout inner conviction in the name of Christ, Amen.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
So we won't wet let FLDS be called Mormons.

I've been thinking about this.

I want to be called a Christian, but I don't want to allow FLDS to be called Mormon. When I dissect my own thinking, I have to admit I'm being entirely hypocritical and the reasons I don't want FLDS to be called Mormons are the exact same reasons Christians won't allow Mormons to be called Christians.

By the way, I'm entirely against polygamy but I do have sympathy for these folks in Texas, especially the children separated from parents.
I can accept that they are called mormons and it makes me laugh a bit that mormons would get worked up about it. I could care less what Evangelicals want to call me as well.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #19
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I can accept that they are called mormons and it makes me laugh a bit that mormons would get worked up about it. I could care less what Evangelicals want to call me as well.

Evangelicals remind me of orthodox mormons. I don't think I care much what they want to call me. I do care enough though to lose even more respect for them everytime they call me something.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote