cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't care if he reveals his "source" or not. It's just kinda funny what juicy little rumors we like to spread around, if we can make our pet disfavored apostle look bad.

It's almost as if no one has ever played the phone game before.
If the story is true, does it bother you? If it doesn't, then you must have reached the conclusion it doesn't make anyone look bad.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
If the story is true, does it bother you? If it doesn't, then you must have reached the conclusion it doesn't make anyone look bad.
After these many months of reading posts by Tex, I think what would make him happy is if you ever say anything critical of "one" of the brethern, you follow it up with saying nice things about "five" of the brethern.

Even if it doesn't make him happy, maybe it would slow his "all CG does is attack the brethern" posts.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What part? The "I think it might be..." or the "I'm not sure..."? Or the "a friend of a friend of a friend" perhaps? Maybe you could share a good Three Nephite story with us too.

Sarcasm aside, there's always more to these stories, and you have about 3% of this one in your post. Even honest, professional journalists who actually name their sources get stuff wrong, sometimes very wrong. I'm inclined to give both Jessop and Packer (the next man in line to lead the church, lest we forget) the benefit of the doubt.

I don't even mind that the apostles' human frailties are occasionally exposed. They are human after all. It's the glee that some folks take in it that really bugs.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
What part? The "I think it might be..." or the "I'm not sure..."? Or the "a friend of a friend of a friend" perhaps? Maybe you could share a good Three Nephite story with us too.

Sarcasm aside, there's always more to these stories, and you have about 3% of this one in your post. Even honest, professional journalists who actually name their sources get stuff wrong, sometimes very wrong. I'm inclined to give both Jessop and Packer (the next man in line to lead the church, lest we forget) the benefit of the doubt.

I don't even mind that the apostles' human frailties are occasionally exposed. They are human after all. It's the glee that some folks take in it that really bugs.
I take no glee from seeing the apostles have human frailties. I don't think you have accused me personally of this by the way.

There are those who believe their words should be followed straight down the line. There are even those that think their words should be taken as commandment. Personally, I am OK with that if that person wants to take the words that way for them.

What really bugs me is when these people start trying to push their belief system in that regard on me. It is not enough for them to say, I don't agree with you. You probably won't believe some of the responses I have had to my statement, "the bretherns words are counsel, not commandment." It isn't that they say they disagree with me, it is that they say I am leading people to apostacy when I say such things.

I accept the human frailties of the brethern. Heck, I take comfort in knowing Peter, as great as he was, had set backs. My noting of those frailties when I do isn't a condemnation of the brethern, it is a notation to those who think we should be blindly following everything that they don't have a foundation to stand on when preaching to me.

Last edited by BYU71; 04-24-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Quote:

Believe it or don't. But I am 100% confident this happened.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:
I certainly believe it could happen. I guess what is dissapointing to some is to find out a lot of things in the church are run just like any beaurocracy. Somehow we wish all the brethern were the embodiment of the Savior here on earth. We would like to believe that from one Bishop to the next, things are run the same way because everything the Bishop does is a result of God whispering in his ear.

I don't need anyone else to believe as I do, but i am quite comfortable feeling that 75% of the decisions made in the church are done so by human beings and not done as a result of the whisperings of the Holy Ghost.

Thus, one Apostle could like Jessop's style and another not. Like any organization, when the new guy comes in, he puts in effect his managment style and likes and dislikes.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Tex

Quote:
You are 100% confident that something happened about which you are less than 100% sure about.

Heh.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Quote:
You are 100% confident that something happened about which you are less than 100% sure about.

Heh.
On occasion, I think you may actually be a bright guy. Then you go out of your way to convince me I am wrong.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
On occasion, I think you may actually be a bright guy. Then you go out of your way to convince me I am wrong.
I suppose on the playground this is the point where I'm supposed to yell, "No, YOU'RE stupid!"

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I suppose on the playground this is the point where I'm supposed to yell, "No, YOU'RE stupid!"
You have a real knack for leading a discussion to this point.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote