cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
If you call the local scout office you can find a scout pack or troop that is in your area that is affiliated with a school or <gasp> another church. Such troops have leaders that actually volunteered, they're willing to spend an entire weekend on a camp out, etc.
yes, but many of them are fat weirdo nerds. Trust me, I go to district roundtables.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
yes, but many of them are fat weirdo nerds. Trust me, I go to district roundtables.

This is true. I used to go to the roundtable as well and about 75% of the non-LDS leaders scared me a little.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is true. I used to go to the roundtable as well and about 75% of the non-LDS leaders scared me a little.
I don't doubt it. I had a non-member scout master tell me they went to a round table and 92% of the LDS leaders scared him a little.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I don't doubt it. I had a non-member scout master tell me they went to a round table and 92% of the LDS leaders scared him a little.

Fair point. In my experience only about 1/2 of the LDS people were scary, which I think is also is true of the general membership, not just scout leaders.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Fair point. In my experience only about 1/2 of the LDS people were scary, which I think is also is true of the general membership, not just scout leaders.
I am sure you know I am kidding. I often knock those who espouse the "we mormons are awesome" mantra.

If the truth be known, if someone said I could choose any group to hang out with, it would be mormons. Note, I said mormons, not just active mormons.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If the truth be known, if someone said I could choose any group to hang out with, it would be mormons. Note, I said mormons, not just active mormons.
Mormons that are inactive because of lifestyle choices and not hung up on some doctrine problems are the better of that group.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Before I joined the Church, I was in a Mormon scout troop. It was awesome...

Nobody ever wore their uniform.

You were able to leave the campouts on Saturday night.

Everyone's mom did their merit badges and Eagle projects for them. As a result, people were getting their Eagles when they were 14.
As Napoleon Dynamite would say, "Lucky!"

My Dad was my scoutmaster. I had no help. I got my Eagle just before my 14th birthday so I could get out from under his despotic (for me, anyway) rule.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
Gifted Fish

Gifted Fish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I went to roundtable once. First time in seven years as a scoutmaster. I will never go back. The leaders who go are at least 75% nuts, and the guy running the show was handing out a flier for what he described as "a new little pizza place that may be trying to get more business from scouts -- they call themselves Roundtable Pizza. [hardy,har,har]." This guy really had never heard of Roundtable Pizza, and also apparently believed BSA coined the term roundtable.
Gifted Fish is offline   Reply With Quote