cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
Ninja_Kruger

Ninja_Kruger is on a distinguished road
Default Fast and Testimony Meeting

Typically, I can't stand Fast & Testimony meeting...and it's not because I have a problem with starving myself.

In my ward, we have the usual lineup of young kids who run up and repeat whispered testimonies...what ward doesn't? ...anyway...we went to a different ward today for a child blessing and this ward was no exception...tons of kids going up and bearing their testimonies...so I had a hard time paying attention. When the meeting was about over, a gentleman stood up and said, "it has been a year since I have been rebaptized..." This introduction piqued my interest...the gentleman went on to bear one of the best testimonies that I have ever heard. He spoke about the difference that the Gospel has made on his relationship with his wife, kids, and even career. I won't forget what he said. Perhaps testimony meetings were instituted for occasions like this?

Anyway, the reason for me posting this was to inquire of any memorable testimonies that you've heard... I'm not talking about testimonies like people who take their laptop and read a pre-written testimony...or one where people quote Cleon Skousen at length... I'm talking about those infrequent moments when pure testimony have been shared.

I don't expect to get a large response to this post.
Ninja_Kruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

first off, in my ward, we rarely get kids up there. The first presidency has specifically counseled against kids bearing testimonies in F&T meeting. So your experience is foreign to me. Also, I don't remember any pre-written or Skousen-type testimonies.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Ninja_Kruger

Ninja_Kruger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
first off, in my ward, we rarely get kids up there. The first presidency has specifically counseled against kids bearing testimonies in F&T meeting. So your experience is foreign to me. Also, I don't remember any pre-written or Skousen-type testimonies.
Well--we've had that letter asking members to refrain from having children bear their testimonies from the First Presidency read multiple times...but it didn't change anything...
Ninja_Kruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Kruger View Post
Well--we've had that letter asking members to refrain from having children bear their testimonies from the First Presidency read multiple times...but it didn't change anything...
You have a lame ward. Sorry.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

My ward is like MW's ward; very few if any kids (yesterday, for example, no kids at all) and I have no recollection of prepared or Skousen type testimonies.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Our testimony meetings are like any others, some good and some not so good.

But, we have ethnic diversity and economic diversity which leads often to more lively meeting.

We have a significant Polynesian community in our ward. It always moves me to see a strappingly large Samoan member bear a simple testimony with tears in his eyes.

We also have an increasing number of Latinos, so much so that we have a Spanish Speaking (not very good at Spanish IMHO) elder, and even a growing African American membership. This diversity is quite healthy but the diverse backgrounds, most of them first generation, makes for meetings which don't always follow the Utah protocol, where everybody knows their roll.

We even have children stand up.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Kruger View Post
Typically, I can't stand Fast & Testimony meeting...and it's not because I have a problem with starving myself.

In my ward, we have the usual lineup of young kids who run up and repeat whispered testimonies...what ward doesn't? ...anyway...we went to a different ward today for a child blessing and this ward was no exception...tons of kids going up and bearing their testimonies...so I had a hard time paying attention. When the meeting was about over, a gentleman stood up and said, "it has been a year since I have been rebaptized..." This introduction piqued my interest...the gentleman went on to bear one of the best testimonies that I have ever heard. He spoke about the difference that the Gospel has made on his relationship with his wife, kids, and even career. I won't forget what he said. Perhaps testimony meetings were instituted for occasions like this?

Anyway, the reason for me posting this was to inquire of any memorable testimonies that you've heard... I'm not talking about testimonies like people who take their laptop and read a pre-written testimony...or one where people quote Cleon Skousen at length... I'm talking about those infrequent moments when pure testimony have been shared.

I don't expect to get a large response to this post.
Sounds cool, reminds me of this:

Quote:
36 ¶ And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee’s house, and sat down to meat.

37 And, behold, a awoman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee’s house, brought an alabaster bbox of ointment,

38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and aanointed them with the ointment.

39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.

40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.

41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred apence, and the other fifty.

42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly aforgave them both. bTell me therefore, which of them will love him most?

43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.

44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.

45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.

46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.

47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are aforgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
Sorry to quote such a long passage, but the imagery always touches me. The man in your ward loved much.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

My neighbor died on Saturday afternoon, dropped dead of a heart attack unexpectedly she was only 57. Her daughter and son in law live next door to her and her son in law is the 1st counselor in the Bishopric. We had a very strong testimony meeting yesterday, lots of talk about families and this woman.

However we had a visitor whose grandson was baptized, bear her testimony it was really moving. She spoke about living in Wyoming and how her Dad was anti-mormon and he taught her all of these things to do, in order to bash mormons if they ever come to your door. So one day some elders come over and she starts bashing them. She said they were very calm and patient with her as she spouted off hurtful things about the church. This went on for several minutes, when this skinny, freckled faced, red head, elder, stood up and yelled to her "SHUT UP!, Lady just SHUT UP!" She said she couldnt believe this kid just said that. She was dumbfounded, this Elder then went on to bear his testimony and then abruptly left. She said she fought with the spirit for the next 20 minutes, but she knew what this Elder was saying, was true. She then called him to apologize and asked for them to teach her the discussions. They set an appointment and a different set of missionaries showed up, this Elder was to embarrassed to come back. But he did change her life, she has been a member for over 20 years now.