cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #51
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
HE is not a control freak, but allows much more to occur than a typical executive.
Does the prophet get the same amount of latitude that the average Joe gets?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #52
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Does the prophet get the same amount of latitude that the average Joe gets?
Well, not being in the position, I can only speculate. However, it appears he is much closer to an average Joe than a demiGod, speaking face to face with the Creator.

If God truly has universes without end, it might explain why he doesn't intervene often.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #53
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If God truly has universes without end, it might explain why he doesn't intervene often.
So you're constraining God from being able to be everywhere at once?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #54
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We don't know enough about God, but perhaps we can make assumptions which seem valid to me.

If God is the author of this world and is the Creator of all humanity, one would suppose like any father that he loves all and favors none. In that sense, God must be the ultimate non-racist.

The priesthood ban arose out of the curse of Cain mentality and was racist.

The reason members struggle with the possibility of such an egregious error being made by leaders is the unproven assumption that God intervenes and directs the leaders like a puppetmaster over the marionettes. He does not.

And our leaders are no better than our followers, just different skills.
1. While I agree God isn't as involved as the puppet-master analogy purports, I believe he answers every honest prayer (granted, in his own time & way). The question remains, IF a prophet inquired honestly of the Lord, WHY DIDN'T HE ANSWER?

2. I believe our leaders are different than our followers. They've been called to positions of authority and hold the keys to receive revelation that the followers cannot. Also, while you may be approaching apostle-like worthiness, I believe they're a LOT more obedient, day-in and day-out, to gospel principles than I am. I do NOT believe that they are perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #55
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Why did God allow all the stupid things that have been said over the years by church leaders to members in official venues?

Need I go through a list?

Because these men were not prayerful? Why did God "inspire" them to say these things?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #56
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
1. While I agree God isn't as involved as the puppet-master analogy purports, I believe he answers every honest prayer (granted, in his own time & way). The question remains, IF a prophet inquired honestly of the Lord, WHY DIDN'T HE ANSWER?

2. I believe our leaders are different than our followers. They've been called to positions of authority and hold the keys to receive revelation that the followers cannot. Also, while you may be approaching apostle-like worthiness, I believe they're a LOT more obedient, day-in and day-out, to gospel principles than I am.
Don't hold me up but I don't believe they are more obedient than Tex or Indy or SEIQ or creekster.

For me, apostles are administrators within the corporation, managing sectors and segments of the faith. They have different administrative skills are known to other leaders to work well within the system.

Given the limited interplay with them, I don't see them as any more righteous than your very devout members. But circumstances and responsibilities have placed them to administer.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #57
Spaz

Quote:
Don't hold me up but I don't believe they are more obedient than Tex or Indy or SEIQ or creekster.
lol.

Quote:
Given the limited interplay with them, I don't see them as any more righteous than your very devout members. But circumstances and responsibilities have placed them to administer.

I don't disagree with you here.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 06-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #58
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Why did God allow all the stupid things that have been said over the years by church leaders to members in official venues?

Need I go through a list?

Because these men were not prayerful? Why did God "inspire" them to say these things?
This still doesn't specifically answer the question. You can go through as many examples as you wish - none of them will pertain to the question I believe is being asked here.

IF the prophets prayed for guidance on the issue, WHY would the Lord not answer those prayers before He did?

FWIW, I don't think it's currently possible for us to know the answer, and therefore don't find the question all that interesting. I simply felt that the thread was getting off on tangents that were not helpful to the question at hand.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #59
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

well, because for one, maybe they weren't nearly as prayerful as they thought.

HBL saying it will never be rescinded while he was alive doesn't sound very prayerful.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #60
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
well, because for one, maybe they weren't nearly as prayerful as they thought.

HBL saying it will never be rescinded while he was alive doesn't sound very prayerful.
Having a double-posting issue again, eh?

As I originally posited, if the Prophets were not praying (I'd throw not praying honestly in the same category) about this issue then obviously the discussion is much different.

I don't think that discussion is worth the time taken to have it, though, and if the base difference of opinion here is whether or not the prophets asked about it, then we may as well give up now because NONE of us will be able to prove ourselves correct in that argument.