cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 12:42 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Rocky Anderson sucks.

I get so frustrated with Rocky Anderson. He does so many good things on so many levels, but bungles the gigantic things in gigantic ways.

He keeps talking about how SLC needs to attract people downtown. But when great opportunities come along, he just isn't getting the job done.

3 examples for consideration:

1. The dinosaur bones. Many may not know this, but for a very long time, the largest collection of dinosaur bones in the world was kept under the bleachers at LES. When BYU finally decided to get rid of the bones (and I can't imagine why they wouldn't have put them to use in a BYU museum), they offered to GIVE THEM AWAY!!! Anderson didn't even offer to take them. Instead, the bones were about to go out of state to another city who volunteered to take them. At the last minute, Thanksgiving Point stood up and asked for them and that became the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point.

Imagine how great a natural history museum would have been for downtown SLC. This should have been a no-brainer.

2. The Olympic Park. How the city bungled the park is incomprehensible. Instead of having a great legacy for the Olympics, SLC is left with scattered remnants of the Olympics, most of which aren't even downtown. Embarrassing.

3. The stadium. SLC would have benefitted tremendously from a Real Salt Lake stadium right downtown. Rocky is now willing to up his bid to steal the stadium away from Sandy. Too late Rocky. Real already purchased the land in Sandy. A better time to up your bid would have been during the actual deliberation process.

I realize each of these things would have cost a lot of money. I also realize there were a lot of people playing the part of obstacle along the way (making things harder for Rocky). Nevertheless, Rocky is the CEO of SLC. He needed to get it done. Instead, we wind up hearing about how the church needs to get more involved in downtown. Rocky- they are spending over a BILLION dollars downtown in construction!!! DO SOMETHING YOURSELF!!!

Imagine how cool SLC would be with a soccer stadium, a natural history museum and an Olympic Park.

Too bad it won't ever happen now.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:48 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Point of inquiry: Isn't there a natural history museum at the UofU? It has been years since I lived in SLC but I seem to recall thre is one there.

I doni't disagree with any of what you said, really, although I don't know enough about the issues ot comment.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug
I get so frustrated with Rocky Anderson. He does so many good things on so many levels, but bungles the gigantic things in gigantic ways.

He keeps talking about how SLC needs to attract people downtown. But when great opportunities come along, he just isn't getting the job done.

1. The dinosaur bones. Many may not know this, but for a very long time, the largest collection of dinosaur bones in the world was kept under the bleachers at LES. When BYU finally decided to get rid of the bones (and I can't imagine why they wouldn't have put them to use in a BYU museum), they offered to GIVE THEM AWAY!!! Anderson didn't even offer to take them. Instead, the bones were about to go out of state to another city who volunteered to take them. At the last minute, Thanksgiving Point stood up and asked for them and that became the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point.

Imagine how great a natural history museum would have been for downtown SLC. This should have been a no-brainer.

2. The Olympic Park. How the city bungled the park is incomprehensible. Instead of having a great legacy for the Olympics, SLC is left with scattered remnants of the Olympics, most of which aren't even downtown. Embarrassing.

3. The stadium. SLC would have benefitted tremendously from a Real Salt Lake stadium right downtown. Rocky is now willing to up his bid to steal the stadium away from Sandy. Too late Rocky. Real already purchased the land in Sandy. A better time to up your bid would have been during the actual deliberation process.

I realize each of these things would have cost a lot of money. I also realize there were a lot of people playing the part of obstacle along the way (making things harder for Rocky). Nevertheless, Rocky is the CEO of SLC. He needed to get it done. Instead, we wind up hearing about how the church needs to get more involved in downtown. Rocky- they are spending over a BILLION dollars downtown in construction!!! DO SOMETHING YOURSELF!!!

Imagine how cool SLC would be with a soccer stadium, a natural history museum and an Olympic Park.

Wow, for once we agree on something.

Mayor Anderson however is too busy firing 1395802358932 people who work for him every other second, while trying to change liquor laws for a bunch of conventioneers. He surely has his priorities straight.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #4
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Point of inquiry: Isn't there a natural history museum at the UofU? It has been years since I lived in SLC but I seem to recall thre is one there.

I doni't disagree with any of what you said, really, although I don't know enough about the issues ot comment.

Yes, there is, if I recall correctly. But I guarantee it couldn't compare to what the city could have built downtown. They had the chance to build a world class dinosaur museum in the heart of downtown. What a shame it was wasted.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:23 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

in a state full of presumably competent service-oriented administrators (successful folks who have also been church leaders) why does Utah produce the suckiest politicians who ever sucked?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:26 AM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Most successful Church leaders have had their fill of administration and want nothing to do with public politics.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:38 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right, Rocky Anderson is an idiot. And Salt Lake City deserves him for it's citizens having elected him twice. It makes me grateful that I live in Murray. Anderson needs to spend more time being mayor of Salt Lake and less time pretending he's the governor of Utah.

Our good Rocky Balboa is correct - Anderson spends way too much time trying to force his personal liquor beliefs on the entire state of Utah rather than doing what's best for SLC. Also, if he had it his way, folks in Davis County wouldn't be able to work or visit Salt Lake because according to him, they are to blame for any pollution in his city.

I agree that an ancient history museum, Olympic Park and a soccer stadium would be a great thing for downtown, but he dropped the ball all three times.

Again, I'm glad he isn't my mayor.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Wow, for once we agree on something.

Mayor Anderson however is too busy firing 1395802358932 people who work for him every other second, while trying to change liquor laws for a bunch of conventioneers. He surely has his priorities straight.
That was my thought, I think he's more concerned about liquor laws than anything else.
stonewallperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
stonewallperry

stonewallperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug

I agree <gasp>, just curious (honest question), where in SLC proper is their space for a soccer stadium?
stonewallperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:01 AM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewallperry
I agree <gasp>, just curious (honest question), where in SLC proper is their space for a soccer stadium?

The Utah Fairgrounds were the proposed site (plenty of room there). Aside from that, I am sure the city could have come up with a lot of ideas for a stadium which would bring in huge tax revenue to the city and downtown.